Best Electric Toothbrush for Kids? Find out as we review and compare the top 7 best kids electric toothbrushes for kids ages 3 to 12-year-old. These children electric toothbrushes come with the right size for a kid to handle. The handles are soft, nice and perfect for little hands. Their brush heads also are soft for the little ones. Check, Philips Sonicare Kids review.
- They also have appropriate bristles that will work well with the kids gums.
- These electric toothbrushes for kids with timer, for example, use musical tones rather than the harsh beeps. Music especially engages children which encourages them to brush longer.
- They start with a short timer and builds up the time to the recommended two minutes.
Best Electric Toothbrush For Kids Ages 3 to12 Year Old
1. Philips Sonicare for Kids Bluetooth Connected Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare for Kids Bluetooth Connected Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush is arguably the best kids electric toothbrush.
- It has fun and practical features packed in it that enhance the teeth brushing experience of children of all ages.
- It has a free interactive App that not only excites children but educates them too. Children get cool rewards for progress made in their brushing sessions.
- Unlike the Oral B app that inconveniently requires you to always scan it on a smart device before accessing it, the Philips Sonicare toothbrush app is complimentary and hassle-free to use.
- The Philips Sonicare for kids employs patented Sonic technology that is weighted to children’s needs. It is programmed to produce fewer vibrations at the beginning and increases the oscillations gradually as your young one gets used to using an electric toothbrush.
The Sonic movements make 500 strokes per second to effectively dislodge all plaque on the teeth and under the gum line. It is highly effective and removes 75%more plaque than a manual one. 91% of dentists who are parents prefer it for their young ones.
Check the Philips Sonicare HX6321/02 on Amazon
(Get 30 Day Free Trial) – Unlimited access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games.
2. Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush , is also referred to as Crest Kid’s Toothpaste featuring Disney’s Frozen, 4.2 oz Oral B. In some cases it is called Oral-B Frozen. It is arguably the best electric toothbrush for kids aged 6+. However, parents have reported using it on 2-year-olds with parental guidance (they hold the brush for the kid and control pressure exerted on the teeth).
- It comes fitted with a Disney themed magic timer app. The app is quite interactive and really helps in encouraging your loved ones to brush for longer up to the 2 minutes dentist recommendation.
- It has a waterproof handle and can actually be used in a shower if you wanted to.
- It has soft bristles and can be used on sensitive teeth and even with braces
- It is usually sold with Crest toothpaste which has a minty taste that appeals to children.
Regular brushing strengthens the enamel and protects the enamel and is an effective protection to the cavity.
Just like the adult one, it makes 40000 pulsations and 8600 oscillations, it employs the patented Oral B rotary technology. The battery lasts for one week. The bristles are soft, they are made of nylon.
It comes with a two-year warranty.
The key highlight in the Oral B pro-health is the Disney app which can be downloaded from Google Play, the app store or from Oral B after you scan the product.
The app is quite engaging and fun. As the child brushes a new fun image will be revealed. The longer they brush the more rewards they get for the progress made.
The app also allows you to track the progress of your childâs brushing progress over time by the help of a calendar. With this app, your children will love brushing their teeth. They will brush for longer.
Check the oral b pro health latest price and more info here on Amazon
3. Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 Electric Toothbrush for Kids with Braces
The Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 features a rubberized ultra-soft brush head that ensures a gentle and thoroughly clean and protects the teeth as they grow. This is ideal best electric toothbrush for kids with braces to go around and also in the brackets.
Some of the features and specifications of the Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 that make it a perfect choice for your child’s oral hygiene include:
- The Philips Sonicare for kids Hx6311 07 electric toothbrush feature allows extension of the brushing time that ensures your child achieves the dentist recommended time of 2 minutes of brushing time.
- The brush also has been rubberized and with an extra soft brush head that is designed to protect your kid’s young teeth. Its kidpacer alerts your child to move to the next quadrant and thus ensuring that they clean their teeth thoroughly.
- It is gentle yet effective. It uses Sonicare’s patented technology that delivers 500 brushstrokes every second removing up to 75 percent plaque in most hard to reach areas than the manual ones.
- It delivers a kid-friendly low and high power modes that allow your kid to get a gentle yet very effective oral clean.
- The kids rechargeable toothbrush by Philips HX6311/07 is easy to use. it features an ergonomically originated handle that makes brushing a simple and a comfortable task on their own or even with their parents.
- Features a stabilized handpiece that allows your kids to apply toothpaste easily while it lays on the counter or a flat surface. This Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 is meant to make brushing the teeth fun for your young ones.
- It features the KidPacer Fun sounds that usually encourage kids to clean all the areas of the mouth, to add on this, the children can also customise it using the 8 possible interchangeable stickers.
- Has a kid timer feature that alerts your child to brush their teeth for the dentist-recommended time of 2 minutes.
- There also exists an application for the HX6311/07. This application is an educational application that teaches your kid how to brush properly in a unique and fun way. This application features two fictional characters, Vicky or Bjorn that help your kid achieve a good oral health.
- Check the Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 here on Amazon
4. Brusheez Children Electric Toothbrush for 3 Year Old Kids
The Brusheez Children Electric Toothbrush is marketed for children aged 3 years and above.
It is actually a complete teeth brushing set complete with a fun cup for rinsing and a stand that is shaped as a pony for the toothbrush. The brush is called Prancy the Pony. It has soft bristles that rotate at 4000 rpm. (rotations per minutes).
For the two minutes timer, the Brusheez has a decorated mini hourglass that counts the two minutes recommended by dentists. It comes with two brush heads and an animal-themed decorated head cover.
It is powered by double AA batteries. It comes with accessories to enable mount the brushing unit on the wall. You also get brushing charts to track your childâs teeth cleaning progress.
- It has five-year warranty which is an indication of its durability. They have replacement heads to ensure your brush is always effective and hygienic.
- It is a complete set with the added bonus of animal-themed head covers that protects the brush head from dust and germs.
- The animal theme âPrancy the Pony is quite exciting and makes children associate brushing with fun.
- The fun miniature hourglass inspires good oral habits. Your children will learn to clean for at least two minutes and these are habits they will keep throughout their lives.
- The vibration could be too loud for some people.
- It does not have a quadrant to remind you when you brush each quarter of your mouth.
- The on/off button is a bit hard to push especially for kids below 3.
Check the Brusheez latest price here on Amazon.
5. Lovely Dolphin Design Kids Sonic Electric Toothbrush for 3 to 9 Year Old
The Lovely Dolphin Design Kids Sonic Electric Toothbrush is marketed for 3-9-year-olds.
- It has soft DuPont nylon bristles that are just perfect for childrenâs tender gums.
- It is waterproof which is good for kids because most kids like playing with water.
- It comes with three replacement heads for maximum durability and flexibility.
- It has the three elements that excite kids most: vibrations, amber flashing lights, and music, it is the ultimate toothbrush that will get your kid love brushing their teeth.
Like most sonic toothbrushes, the Lovely Dolphin Design Kids Sonic Electric Toothbrush with Musical LED Light, 2m Timer and 30 seconds Reminder Features, Replaceable 2 Extra Heads.(Sky blue) makes 22000 brush strokes per minutes. These high-frequency movements are sure to dislodge any hidden food residue and plaque.
You are assured the dental health and hygiene of your children will be top notch. The thing with many children is that many of them do not easily warm up to the idea of brushing their teeth but the Lovely Dolphin Design Kids Sonic Electric Toothbrush makes this huddle a breeze.
It is packed with seven popular English kids songs that your kids will find fun listening to when brushing. This combined with a brush head that is lit with colorful shining LED lights is the ultimate plaything for your kids.
The two minutes timer and quadpacer teach your children good teeth cleaning habits from an early age. You can order replacement brush heads directly from the manufacturer’s website.
In case your children have grown up, you may want to check proper best kids electric toothbrushes here. They offer more functionality and customization that allows kids to express themselves and fall in love with cleaning their teeth.
- Operates on sonic technology that makes multiple movements to deeply clean your kids teeth
- It has all the fun features most children like and will make your child be interested in brushing their teeth.
- It is waterproof and can be used in the shower or when your child is playing with water.
- It comes with a stand which makes it easy to store.
It operates on triple AAA batteries which can be cumbersome to replace. Battery life is two months when brushing at least twice every day.
Check the Lovely Dolphin current price here on Amazon
6. Oral B Pro Health Battery Power Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Pro-Health Stages Disney Princess Power Kid’s Toothbrush is specially designed for kids aged 3 years and above.
It is themed with fun things like Disney Pixarâs ‘Finding Dory’. Like most Oral B brushes, it operates on the scientifically proven Oral B technique of rotation and oscillations that removes more plaque from teeth and under the gum line than manual ones in spite of children’sâ imperfect tooth cleaning skills.
The Pro Health stages Oral B rechargeable electric toothbrush features really soft bristles that will be gentle for 3-year-olds gum tissues. The brush head and general design is âsmallishâ, just the right size for children.
- The Health stages Pro child electric toothbrush with timer sings fun melodies to alert the child when they have brushed for the dentist recommended time of 2 minutes.
- It operates on rechargeable batteries that can last up to five days on a full charge. The charger is only compatible with Americaâs standard volts of 110 volts.
- It has a quadrant timer that alerts the child when to move from one section of the mouth (quadrant) to the other. The 30 seconds timer is loaded with 16 melodies which play one at a time in every signal.
- Thanks to the Oral B patented rotary cleaning technique, this power brush cleans on a tooth by tooth basis. It encircles each tooth in multiple rotations to dislodge all plaque. It is equally great for kids when they are losing their baby teeth.
It features the Oral B Disney Magic Timer App. This app is fully packed with Disney characters that young ones love. All you need to do is scan your power brush on the App on your smart device (Ipad, smartphone etc) once you have downloaded it from the App store or Google Play. After your brush is scanned, Disney characters will show up. More Disney images will reveal themselves inch by inch as the kid continues to brush. The more they brush the more the Disney (Finding Dory), star wars and Marvel characters reveal themselves.
The progress made by children in their brushing experience can be tracked via a helpful calendar in the app.
This groundbreaking technique helps kids engage in brushing their teeth and brush longer. They brush long because the whole teeth cleaning exercise is fun filled with Disney characters.
Check the Oral-B Pro-Health latest price here on Amazon
7. Haigerx Kids Electric Toothbrush
The Haigerx Sonic Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush for Kids is the best alternative to Philips Sonicare for kids. It is also called Sonicare rechargeable music timer.
- It is lightweight. It only weighs 0.084 kg.
- It has a smallish handle sizeable enough for young ones.
- It comes in two colors: Blue and pink and
- it is that it has continuous music throughout the two minutes recommended by ADA (American Dentist Association). The music is split into 4 popular rhymes like âOld Mac-Donald had a Farm Eeiha! Eeiha! Oohh!â.
The different rhymes act as quadrant signal to remind you to move from one section of the mouth to the next. This as you can imagine captures most children’s interest.
The bristles are made of soft, DuPont nylon bristles that are appropriate for tender gums.
As already mentioned, it has the ADA recommended two minutes timer and a 30 seconds interval signal (quadrant) that is signaled by a change of the music.
It is recommended that you charge it for 16-24 hours when you first use it. The charger lasts as long as two weeks plus for regular use. To operate, press for at least five seconds on the ON/OFF button.
Many parents report that Haigerx Sonicare encourages their young ones to learn timeless teeth cleaning habits like brushing for two minutes.
This singing toothbrush is a far improved version of Arm and Hammer tooth tunes that belts out modern music by established musicians like One Direction. This music brush only hit the market in early August 2016 but is already a best seller on Amazon. This alone is a testament to its quality. It is durable and effective.Oral-B Pro-Health For Me Kids Electric Toothbrush(Flash news- The Oral B pro For Me has been discontinued in favor of the Oral B Pro-Health JR)
The Oral B Pro-health For Me is marketed for tweens. However, it can actually be used by nontwins. It is more or less like the Oral B Pro-Health JR apart from the fact that the Pro-Health for me comes with two brush heads, hence it marketed for tweens.
Check the Haigerx Sonic latest price here on Amazon
8. Oral-B Pro-Health for Me Rechargeable Power Toothbrush
Key Features of Oral-B Pro-Health for Me Rechargeable Power Toothbrush include:
- Waterproof handle with kid-inspired details. The brush head is compatible with most Oral B models.
- Two 2 Oral-B refill brush heads (sensitive clean) â soft enough for childrenâs tender gums.
- A handy charging station
- It has a 2 minutes timer that encourages children to brush for the recommended two minutes.
- The brush alerts you every 30 seconds that you should move to the next section of your mouth for effective cleaning.
This kids power toothbrush is ideal for 4 to 8 years old. However, the minimum age for use is 2 years. Children below 4 years should get assistance from parents until they get used to the brushing experience of using an electric toothbrush.
Like most other Oral B brushes, you need an adapter if you are traveling to Europe. It only supports Americaâs standard 110 voltages.
- There is no indicator to notify you that it is fully charged. The battery runs out after only 5 days.
- It employs same speed as that found in adult brushes. I would have loved at least two speeds one high and the other low. This would at least give new users the chance to adjust to using electric toothbrushes. However, it has full approval by Americaâs Dentist Association to be used by people of a young age.
First Electric Toothbrush
The first toothbrushes were created in 3500 BC and were being used by the Egyptians and Babylonians. They were in the form of chewing sticks and were made from the branches of the Salvadora persica tree. Research reveals that the ancients who discovered these toothbrushes were not only concerned about removing food extracts from their teeth, but they also knew that brushing your teeth twice a day prevented your gums from getting diseases and, therefore, resulted in a healthy mouth.
Historically, the toothbrush was not made of plastic nor made from oil, but spans a long story dating back to thousands of years ago, even before plastics came into existence. It begins when people were using sticks, which served as a toothpick to clean the teeth and mouth.
It later evolved to a chewstick, somewhat resembling a pencil which is made of a twig, which is continually chewed and becomes softened at the end and would resemble a brush, which could then be used to wipe the surface of the teeth while the other end is sharpened to pick food debris lodged in between the teeth.
Around 1600 BC, the Chinese used a similar process to clean teeth using chewsticks that were made up of twigs from aromatic trees that will not only clean the teeth but will also freshen breath.
This means that oral health care is an ancient human practice that has grown to be more serious and significant. In the generations that followed, the first mass-produced toothbrush was made in England by William Addis in the year 1780. Apparently, he made his first toothbrush in jail, after being arrested for making a riot. After he passed in 1808 he left his company to his eldest son and the business is still running even today.
More and more people were beginning to catch on and the general interest in oral health began to rise dramatically, when toothbrushes were being mass-produced all over Europe, France, Germany, and Japan. Just as the system is today, the type of bristles used in the creation of a specific toothbrush determined how expensive it is. Due to how dentistry evolved over the years, the designs of the toothbrush kept on improving.
How electric toothbrushes began?
At first, the use of animal bristles was the norm. But then as time went by and dentists realized that animal bristles took too long to dry and sometimes fell off the base, new inventions were bound to arise
However, one of the most innovative characteristics that were included in the toothbrush is the interdental brush (also known as the interproximal brush). Since dentists designed a toothbrush fused with the tongue scraper (giving a more thorough scrub on the tongue and cheeks), the creation of the interdental brush was to take gum health a few steps further.
These bristles can reach the food, plaque, and debris that are hiding in the tight spaces between your teeth. This obviously allowed you take special care of your gingiva, leaving you with fresh breath and a healthy smile.
The evolution of the toothbrush gives a good insight into the importance of oral health. Ancient civilizations developed it to protect their gums and pick food from between their teeth. As the field of dentistry grew older – the toothbrush was improved to do jobs that (when done properly) would enable you to be your own dentist twice a day every day.
Although a variety of oral hygiene measures have been used over the ages the modern nylon bristle toothbrush wasn’t introduced until 1938. They became widely used by the armed forces in order to maintain health regulations in their battalions. When the Second World War broke out, the soldiers have stationed abroad for so long that brushing the teeth became a habit. After the war was over the survivors brought that habit home with them and both the health and advertising industries capitalized on this moment in history. Government sponsored ads were made to promote using toothpaste and toothbrushes amongst the general population. In fact, it was around the same time that the dental colleges saw a major upsurge in students trying to train to be dentists.
The Swiss were always known for their tinkering habits. Their scientists came up with the idea of an electric toothbrush around 1939. Fifteen years down the line, a man going by the name of P.G. Woog introduced his design for a better version in the Alpine country. The American oral hygiene company Squibb purchased the rights to the design from Woog. By the late fifties, a product by the name of Broxodent was introduced in the market by Squibb. It was the first ever brand of electric toothbrushes to be sold to the American public.
Here are the best electric toothbrush 2019.
The electric toothbrushes that Squibb released had a cord attached to them which could be plugged into a power source. The power giant General Electric later introduced a prototype that used a rechargeable battery thus eliminating the cord. The people loved it and the product went off the shelves of the shops very quickly. Needless to say, it was mainly the consumer base in the First World Countries that enjoyed the electric toothbrush.
The Third World Nations were still struggling to have economies set up at that time. They kept their teeth clean using manual toothbrushes and other traditional methods.
Squibb kept on selling their product in the US and other North American markets up until the early nineties. The end of the Cold War gave companies like GE a boost in production and though market monopoly, they saw the withdrawal of Squibb from the American scene. On the other side of the Atlantic though, Squibb still sold its electric toothbrush under the moniker ‘Broxo’.
The process of toothbrush evolution starts with the Chinese during the 15th century invented the first toothbrush but not the same look with the modern toothbrush or tandbÃ¸rste of today. The brush was made out of the hair of a wild Siberian boar and then later this toothbrush was brought to the continent of Europe by travelers. The western people find the toothbrush too hard and stiff so they prefer using the brush with bristles made from horse hairs.
The French dentist upheld the use of toothbrush during the 17th and 18th centuries. The first mass-produced toothbrush was created by William Adis from England. Until then his descendants continued and made the finest toothbrushes in Europe. The handles were made from the bones of the cattle and heads had natural bristles that were stuck in place by a very thin wire.
Nylon was then introduced in the year 1937 by Wallace Carothers and then the nylon was used as bristles on the head of the toothbrush.
The first electric toothbrush was created in Switzerland in the year 1937 for the sole purpose of patients who have movement inability to brush their teeth using their hands. Battery powered toothbrushes were created by General Electric and captured the attention of the public. After this was invented it is now the model and upgrades that are made to meet the standards of the current electric toothbrush.
Nowadays you can get electric toothbrushes with their own sterilizing units and timers to make sure that you brush your teeth for the correct length of time. Marvelous when you think that a few centuries ago people were cleaning their teeth with twigs, bird feathers, and animal bones.
Cyber Monday Deals
- Get 33% off Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush With Coaching Pressure Sensor and Timer, White, for Kids 6+
- Get 25% off Colgate 360 Optic White Platinum Electric toothbrush With 4 Replacement Heads
- Deal Price $13.17 Emerson Kids Battery Powered Musical Timer Toothbrush Replaceable Brush Head, ER109004, Pink
- Get $10 off coupon on Philips Sonicare for Kids Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, Blue HX6321/02
- Get $10 Off coupon Philips Sonicare for Kids Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, Pink HX6351/41
- Get $5 Off coupon on Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush featuring Disneyâs Minnie Mouse, for Kids 6+
- Get $5 off coupon on Off Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush with Replacement Brush Heads, featuring Star Wars, for Kids 6+
- Get 5% off coupon on Brusheez Kidâs Electric Toothbrush Set (Safari Edition) â Snappy the Croc â Includes Battery-Powered Toothbrush, 2 Brush Heads, Cute Animal Cover, Sand Timer, Rinse Cup & Storage Base
- Get $5 off coupon on NeoCre Kids Rechargeable Sonic Electric Toothbrush Just-for-Kids Safest Material Lower Noise Dentists Recommended Vibration Cartoon Stickers 25 Days Duration Wireless Charging IPX7 100% Waterproof
- Get 10% off coupon on Kids Electric Toothbrush – 2 Modes with 2 Brush Head IPX6 Waterproof Children Battery Powered Travel Toothbrushes with 2-Min Timer for Age 6+ Boys Girls Pink
Which is your favourite best electric toothbrush for kids 2019?