Plague removal can be challenging. It can be expensive to visit the dentist every time you discover a new stain on your teeth. Fortunately there are things you are capable of doing to promote good oral health. Keep your gums and teeth in optimal health by minimizing the development of plague build up. Most dentists recommend using an electric toothbrush when battling plaque. Some toothbrushes are better at cleaning teeth than others; though, no toothbrush can give you a 100% guarantee for plaque prevention. This is why we should follow up our brushing with flossing. Together brushing and flossing will keep teeth looking their best.
Last update on 2021-04-21 at 13:05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Recommended Electric Toothbrushes to Prevent Plaque
Oral B Genius x (Premium Option)
It has been argued that this model is the best in combating plaque because it combines vibrations pulsations and rotations that disrupt plaque from lodging between the crevices between your teeth.
- It makes 48000 movements compared to the 600 movements that a manual brush makes in a span of two minutes.
- It uses AI to intuitively help you zones you might have missed
- It has Bluetooth and a pressure sensor to protect your gums
If you don’t mind spending a bit to get the best product in the market. The Oral B Genius X can really help you keep plaque at bay. Try it if your budget allow
Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart
This is obviously a high end product but it has great features to help you deal with plaque.
It has a microchip fitted in the brush head to track all the zones you clean. In case you miss a zone, it will remind you to re-do the missed zone. This ofcourse helps in disruption plaque wherever it could be hiding in your mouth.
- It has a pressure sensor to protect your gums
- It comes with a number of cleaning modes (clean, gum care, whitening, deep clean and is models 9700 and 9750 a tongue cleaner). This gives you a wholesome range of options to improve your oral hygiene.
- It has a long lasting battery
- It has an automatic brush head change reminder (BrushSync)
Although this might be a bit highly priced, it’s one of the best in the market to destroy plaque, Check it out
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 5100 (Mid Price Range option)
This brush is specially designed to tackle olaque while at the same time taking great care of you gums.
Key features include:
- A pressure sensor to protect your gums from the effects of brushing too hard
- long-lasting battery
- Three brushing modes clean, white and gum care
- Automatic brush replacement reminder.
Philips Sonicare Protectiveclean 4100
This is low priced yet it has most of the features found in premium options like the ones above. We highly recomend this model if you just want to deal with plaque. The main thing separating this model from the high priced ones above is the fact that it only comes with one cleaning mode (clean). To be honest if you are an average user, clean is the mode you are likely to use most of the time so getting the 4100 is a good pick.
- It has a pressure sensor
- It comes with brushsync feature that automatically reminds you to replace your brush head when its due.
- It has a long-lasting battery
This a decent budget option model that will be good value for your money. Try it.
Philips Sonicare 2 Series (Budget option)
The best electric toothbrush for plaque control may be the Philips Sonicare 2 series. It eliminates plaque six times better than a regular toothbrush because it utilizes the newest Sonic Technology.
- A battery life of two weeks
- A battery indicator light with two colors
- Has a thin angled neck
- A 2 minute timer with alerts
- Uses an oscillating speed
Why it is Recommended
- Toothbrush brand has a positive reputation in the industry
- Works well for people with gum problems
- Can do up to 31,000 strokes per 60 seconds
- Toothbrush is simple to operate
- Cleans effectively and can be used on sensitive teeth
- Brush head that can be replaced every few months.
Oral-B Black Pro 1000 (Budget Range)
Oral-B has a worldwide reputation for tooth care. The Oral B Black Pro 1000 may be their best electric toothbrush for plaque control available on the market. This rechargeable toothbrush is compatible with multiple brush heads and is inexpensive.
With a CrossAction brush Oral-B Pro 1000 tackles plaque and cleans the entire mouth. Compared to your manual toothbrush the Oral-B Pro 1000 is 3 times more capable. At least 8 other heads can be used on this toothbrush. This provides you with the option to try out other brushing techniques beyond the typically cleaning one that the Oral-B Black Pro 1000 comes attached.
- A timer
- Compatible with multiple brush heads; including, Deep Sweep, FlossAction, 3D WhitePercision Clean and others.
- Brush pulsates and 3D oscillates
- Employs the1 Daily Clean Mode
Why it is Recommended
- Able to use replacement brush head for orthodontic care and teeth whitening
- Only uses a tiny space for recharging
- Time notifications are given every 30 seconds
- Has a battery life of 1 week
- Uses an easy on/off button design
- Uses a pressure sensor
- Has a red light that flashes to alert you when your tooth brush needs to be recharged.
Using electric toothbrushes to fight plaque is sound advice but there is more you can do to help get rid of plaque. Keep reading to discover more tips for dealing with the unwanted accumulation of plaque.
Know How the Plague Enemy Works
If you examine your gum line you will notice that it is covered in a soft tacky film called plaque. Despite it’s benign appearance it is not innocuous. This substance is made up of bacteria. Bacteria hardens the soft film on your teeth and makes plaque removal difficult. When this substance hardens on the teeth you can experience tooth damage. You could also experience cavities or even tooth loss. Looking after your teeth on a daily basis results in less trips to the dentist.
Brush and Floss to Prevent Plaque
To prevent the formation of plague you need to brush your teeth at minimum two times daily. Flossing needs to be completed at minimum once daily. To get the most out of these preventive measures you need to focus on your technique. Doing these cleaning activities the right way will ensure healthy teeth.
Brush Your Teeth
Are you brushing long enough? When it comes to brushing dentists suggest that you do the activity for at least two minutes. Every stroke of the brush must be made using a consistent speed for the duration of the activity. An electric toothbrush is able to complete this task better than a manual brush; however, you still need to make sure all areas of your mouth get brushed. Remember to brush the tongue in addition to the teeth because it retains plenty of bacteria,
Floss Your Teeth
When you floss your teeth you tackle the hidden spaces between the teeth where food can hide. You need to make three stroke with your dental floss between each tooth. Start at the bottom of the tooth and work your way to the top each time. This will help you remove any food stuck in between the teeth. Flossing helps keep plague from developing between teeth.
Note: Regular checkups with your dentist should be made. A dentist can head off any small issues you may have before they become much larger costly problems. This is especially important for anyone who suffers from regular dental issues.
Prevent gingivitis by using a rotating motion instead of the typical side to side movement. This is the best way to get rid of plaque researchers have found. If you are serious about the health of your teeth you will want to pick up the best electric toothbrush for plaque control available; however, any toothbrush cannot do an effective cleaning job alone. Remember to floss in conjunction with brushing to keep your teeth healthy and avoid multiple trips to the dentist.