Oral B Smart 5 5000 vs Genius 9000 differences and similarities: See how do the Smart 5 5000 CrossAction Electric Toothbrush differ from the Oral B Genius 9000 and Oral-B Smart 5 5950N.
Oral B Smart 5 5000 vs Genius 9000
The difference between the mid-priced Oral B Smart 5 5000 and high-end Oral B Genius 9000 is mainly on the: position detection feature, the number of cleaning modes, brush heads, travel case, pressure sensor, colour options and the price.
Firstly, the key defining difference between smart 5 5000 and genius 9000 is the position detection feature. This is whereby the 9000 model has a built-in ability to detect where you are brushing and where you have missed; the smart 5 5000 however, lacks this feature.
The position detection feature is quite handy with research showing that most people miss some areas while brushing especially those hard to reach areas.
Additional, whereas the Oral B Genius 9000 comes with 6 cleaning modes to cater for all your cleaning needs (tongue cleaner, deep clean, daily clean, whitening, sensitive and gum care), the smart 5 5000 comes with only 5 lacking the tongue cleaning mode.
And when comes to thr number of brush heads whilst, the smart 5 5000 comes with 3 brush heads, the genius 9000 comes with 4. However, they both come with a brush head storing unit with space for storing up to 4 brush heads.
Furthermore, they all have a visible pressure sensor to alert you when you brush your teeth too hard, however, whereas that of smart 5500 is rear side located, that of Genius 9000 is 3D customizable smartRing . Instead of flashing only red colour every time it alerts you when brushing hard, with the 9000 model, you can choose any colour out of 12 provided colours to show up.
Moreover, they both come with a travel case however, that of genius 9000 is more premium, USB travelling case that can be used to charge both your phone and the brush at the same. This is compared to the smart 5 plastic case that is there for keeping the brush and 2 brush heads only.
And in terms of colour options: whereas the Oral B Genius 9000 comes in 5 colours to choose from (black, white, rose gold, orchid purple, and midnight black,), the Oral B smart 5 5000 comes in only white colour.
When comes to the price differences, the Smart 5 5000 is cheaper than the genius 9000.
Apart from the difference:
- Both Oral B Smart 5 5000 and Genius 9000 employ 3D cleaning action, the most advanced Oral B cleaning technology with the ability to remove up to 100% dental plaque on your teeth and along the gum line compared to manual ones.
- They both come with a built-in timer with quadrapacer to help you brush evenly at two minutes time, twice a day.
- While the smart 5 pacer buzzes after every 30 seconds to alert you to move to another mouth section; The genius 9000 SmartRing flashes red after every 30 seconds instead of buzzing. TYou can customize the 9000 model smartRing colour into choice colour.
- They both come with a 2 pin UK plug charger and 2 years warrant that can be extended to 3 if you register it on Oral B.
- They both use lithium-ion battery that when charged can last up to 14 days before flashing red to alert you to recharge it again.
- They both feature Bluetooth connectivity allowing you to connect your brush with the Oral B app for real-time feedback on how you are brushing and tutorial on how to do it better and
- They both have a twin pack option at a premium price but cheaper than buying 2 toothbrushes separately. The 5 5000 twin pack option is the Oral-B Smart 5 5950 .
- Check, Oral B 9000 vs Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart.
Oral B Smart 5 5000 vs 5 5950N
The only difference between the Oral B Smart 5 5000 and 5 5950N is in the number of toothbrushes you get. While with the 5 5000 you get one toothbrush, with the Oral-B Smart 5 5950 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush you get 2 brushes that come one in pink and another one in white colour.
Oral-B Smart 5 5950 is a nice and cheaper option if you are looking to buy toothbrushes for couples. However, with this option, you not only lose the brush head storage unit but also one brush head. You just get 2 CrossAction brush heads compared to the three that comes with Oral B Smart 5 5000.
Oral B Smart 5 5000 Review
The Oral B Smart 5 5000 is the mid-range electric toothbrush between the Oral B Smart 4 4000and 6 6000. It is an improved version of the old Oral-B SmartSeries 5000 with battery life improvement from Nickel Hydride that lasts from 5 to 7 days to Lithium-ion battery that lasts up to 2 weeks time.
- 5 cleaning modes same as the Oral B Smart 6 6000: daily clean, gum care, sensitive, pro-clean, and whitening
- Visible pressure sensor
- 2-minute timer with quad pacer
- 3D cleaning motion
- Travel case compared to the Oral B Smart 4 4000 that comes with none
- A charging station that holds up to 4 brush heads
- Bluetooth technology
- Battery indicator
- Waterproof handle
- Phone holder
- 3 brush heads: CrossAction, 3D White and Sensitive
- 2 weeks of battery life (Lithium-ion battery)
- 2 years warranty that can be extended to 3 years free of charge by remembering to register your toothbrush on Oral-B site.
5 Cleaning Modes
The Oral B Smart 5 comes with 5 cleaning modes unlike the Oral B Smart 4 that comes with only 3 modes. These modes include daily clean, gum care, sensitive, pro-clean, and whitening. They are there to help you clean different areas of your mouth effectively and also to offer different clean results.
- The daily clean mode is the mode you will be using on a daily basis to remove teeth plaque.
- Gum care is for cleaning your gums reducing the risk of getting gum disease
- Sensitive is to be used when your teeth and gums are inflamed or for some reason feel painful. Use a sensitive brush head with this mode to get a gently comfortable cleaning results
- Pro- clean is for deep cleaning your teeth, instead of brushing for 2 minutes, settings are made to make you clean longer for up to 3 minutes time and the
- Whitening mode is for removing surface stains offering cleaner look than the daily clean mode. Use a 3D White brush head with this mode to achieve better results.
Visible Pressure Sensor
Like most mid-range and high-end Oral B electric toothbrushes, this toothbrush also comes with a ‘visible pressure sensor’ located on the rear-side of its handle. It illuminates red colour when you brush your teeth too hard.
Every time you see the red flash remember to reduce the pressure you apply on your teeth. For an electric toothbrush, you need just to guide the brush do the manual work for you.
2 Minute Timer with Quadpacer
The brush comes with the built-in 2-minute timer with a pacer that buzzes after every 30 seconds to alert you to move into another mouth area.
As you already know, the mouth has 4 quadrants. You need to spend 30 seconds on each area and the pacer will help you achieve that.
The timer itself is for helping you achieve a 2 minutes dentists recommended brushing time.
Compared to the Oral B Smart 4 that has no travel case included, this brush, on the other hand, comes with a standard plastic travel case. The case can hold one toothbrush and 2 brush heads.
You get a charging station with a 2 pin plug to be connected on your shaving socket. Alternatively, you can also buy a 2 to 3 pin adaptor.
The Bluetooth technology is one of the main features in all Oral-B electric toothbrushes ranging from the Oral B Smart 4 onwards.
This feature is not for everybody but for people who are serious with the need to improve their dental hygiene. The Bluetooth helps you to connect your brush with Oral B app, using your Smartphone.
When connected the app shows the real-time data on how you brush your teeth, how often, how hard, how long and which area you concentrate more and offer you proper teeth cleaning guidance. There is a screen timer that shows you where to brush and if you have brushed well.
The best part, you also get a phone holder that you can use to put your phone while using the Bluetooth, rather than holding the phone on one hand while brushing.
Your brushing habit is also recorded in a calendar where you can view over a period of time and make an adjustment to your brushing habit as feels necessary.
While the low-end Oral B toothbrushes do not include a battery indicator, this brush includes one.
What this feature does is that it alerts you when the battery needs recharging by flashing red, green when charging and no flash when the battery is fully charged.
Charging the battery takes up to 24hours time.
3 Brush Heads
You get three Oral electric toothbrush heads:
- Cross action brush head for daily use
- 3D White for using it when using the whitening mode to polish your teeth and the
- A sensitive brush head that to be used with the sensitive cleaning mode for brushing sensitive teeth and gums
The brush heads have blue indicator bristles that fade to pale blue alerting you to change or buy a new brush head.
Like any Oral B toothbrush, the Oral B Smart 5 5000 is also a bit noisier than Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes