What is the Oral B Smart 5 5000 and how does it differ from the Oral-B Smart 5 5950N and other Oral B electric toothbrushes in the market today?
The Oral B Smart 5 5000 is the mid-range electric toothbrush between the Oral B Smart 4 4000 and 6 6000. It is an improved version of the old Oral-B SmartSeries 5000 with battery life improvement from Nickel Hydride that lasts from 5 to 7 days to Lithium-ion battery that lasts up to 2 weeks time.
- 5 cleaning modes same as the Oral B Smart 6 6000: daily clean, gum care, sensitive, pro-clean, and whitening
- Visible pressure sensor
- 2-minute timer with quad pacer
- 3D cleaning motion
- Travel case compared to the Oral B Smart 4 4000 that comes with none
- A charging station that holds up to 4 brush heads
- Bluetooth technology
- Battery indicator
- Waterproof handle
- Phone holder
- 3 brush heads: CrossAction, 3D White and Sensitive
- 2 weeks of battery life (Lithium-ion battery)
- 2 years warranty that can be extended to 3 years free of charge by remembering to register your toothbrush on Oral-B site.
- Like any Oral B toothbrush, this brush is also a bit noisier than Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes
5 Cleaning Modes
The Oral B Smart 5 comes with 5 cleaning modes unlike the Oral B Smart 4 that comes with only 3 modes. These modes include daily clean, gum care, sensitive, pro-clean, and whitening. They are there to help you clean different areas of your mouth effectively and also to offer different clean results.
- The daily clean mode is the mode you will be using on a daily basis to remove teeth plaque.
- Gum care is for cleaning your gums reducing the risk of getting gum disease
- Sensitive is to be used when your teeth and gums are inflamed or for some reason feel painful. Use a sensitive brush head with this mode to get a gently comfortable cleaning results
- Pro- clean is for deep cleaning your teeth, instead of brushing for 2 minutes, settings are made to make you clean longer for up to 3 minutes time and the
- Whitening mode is for removing surface stains offering cleaner look than the daily clean mode. Use a 3D White brush head with this mode to achieve better results.
Visible Pressure Sensor
Like most mid-range and high-end Oral B electric toothbrushes, this toothbrush also comes with a ‘visible pressure sensor’ located on the rear-side of its handle. It illuminates red colour when you brush your teeth too hard.
Every time you see the red flash remember to reduce the pressure you apply on your teeth. For an electric toothbrush, you need just to guide the brush do the manual work for you.
2 Minute Timer with Quadpacer
The brush comes with the built-in 2-minute timer with a pacer that buzzes after every 30 seconds to alert you to move into another mouth area.
As you already know, the mouth has 4 quadrants. You need to spend 30 seconds on each area and the pacer will help you achieve that.
The timer itself is for helping you achieve a 2 minutes dentists recommended brushing time.
Compared to the Oral B Smart 4 that has no travel case included, this brush, on the other hand, comes with a standard plastic travel case. The case can hold one toothbrush and 2 brush heads.
You get a charging station with a 2 pin plug to be connected on your shaving socket. Alternatively, you can also buy a 2 to 3 pin adaptor.
The Bluetooth technology is one of the main features in all Oral-B electric toothbrushes ranging from the Oral B Smart 4 onwards.
This feature is not for everybody but for people who are serious with the need to improve their dental hygiene. The Bluetooth helps you to connect your brush with Oral B app, using your Smartphone.
When connected the app shows the real-time data on how you brush your teeth, how often, how hard, how long and which area you concentrate more and offer you proper teeth cleaning guidance. There is a screen timer that shows you where to brush and if you have brushed well.
The best part, you also get a phone holder that you can use to put your phone while using the Bluetooth, rather than holding the phone on one hand while brushing.
Your brushing habit is also recorded in a calendar where you can view over a period of time and make an adjustment to your brushing habit as feels necessary.
While the low-end Oral B toothbrushes do not include a battery indicator, this brush includes one.
What this feature does is that it alerts you when the battery needs recharging by flashing red, green when charging and no flash when the battery is fully charged.
Charging the battery takes up to 24hours time.
3 Brush Heads
You get three Oral electric toothbrush heads:
- Cross action brush head for daily use
- 3D White for using it when using the whitening mode to polish your teeth and the
- A sensitive brush head that to be used with the sensitive cleaning mode for brushing sensitive teeth and gums
The brush heads have blue indicator bristles that fade to pale blue alerting you to change or buy a new brush head.
Oral B Smart 5 5000 vs. Oral-B Smart 5 5950N
The only difference between the Oral B Smart 5 5000 and 5 5950N is in the number of toothbrushes you get. While with the 5 5000 you get one toothbrush, with the Oral-B Smart 5 5950N you get 2 brushes that come one in pink and another one in white colour.
Oral B 5 5950 is a nice and cheaper option if you are looking to buy toothbrushes for couples. However, with this option, you not only lose the phone holder but also one brush head. You just get 2 CrossAction brush heads compared to the three that comes with Oral B Smart 5 5000.
Oral B Pro 5000 review. Check our dedicated Oral B electric toothbrush Cyber Monday deals 2019.