What is the best electric toothbrush UK? Find top rated electric toothbrushes for receding gums, sensitive teeth and gum disease, braces and more.
Is it a travel toothbrush you want or just a simple one with pressure sensor and timer? It it for adults or kids? Under 50, 100 or expensive ones? With Bluetooth or without? Our buying guide below will you determine what to choose based on your needs. And in case you are visiting from USA check here.
Best electric toothbrush on deals today:
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 19:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
And, in the process of reviewing and collecting data, we heard a lot of cries of people not being happy of their overpriced toothbrushes that have low battery life, features that they cannot make use of it, cheap plastic materials used on some accessories like travel cases, cleaning modes with no easy display/switch on button, and brushes being nosier.
This brings you to our selection criteria: What kind of toothbrushes you should expect to find in this article.
Herewith are our top 5 best electric toothbrushes UK selection criteria:
- Have long battery life of not less than 2 to 3 weeks time.
- Have a premium travel case
- Have cleaning modes with clear display button and easy switch on from one mode to the other
- Have phone holders
- Not noisy
Notice: With quality comes price although not always true but sometimes. In this scenario, we have included all the toothbrushes whether cheap or expensive as far they meet above selection criteria.
|Oral-B Genius 9000 Electric Toothbrush With Smart Pressure Sensor, Pack of 1||Check it out.|
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 12:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe Oral B Genius 9000 has all the bells and whistles to make your teeth cleaning a delight.
Does this electric toothbrush meet our above selection criteria? Let us find out by analyzing its key features first.
- 6 cleaning modes (Daily clean, gum care, sensitive, whitening, deep clean and tongue cleaner) with clear display button and easy switch on from one mode to the other
- Has a battery life of more than 2 weeks time (Lithium Ion Battery)
- Comes with a premium USB chargeable travel case that can be used to charge both your toothbrush and phone
- Includes a stick on the wall Smartphone holder for holding your phone while using Bluetooth functionality to track your brushing habit.
- 2 Years warranty that can be extended to 3 by registering it online
- Check how it compares with others in our Oral B Genius X 10000 vs 9000 vs 8000 Review and or Oral B Genius 8900 vs 9000 vs 9900 Review.
Like all other Oral B toothbrush, the Oral B Genius 9000 is noisy compared to Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes.
Apart from that Oral-B Genius 9000″ by Oral B has other great features such as Bluetooth connectivity, smart ring, pressure sensor, 2 minute timer, 3D cleaning action, and comes with 4 brush heads.
|Oral-B iO Series 6 Electric Toothbrush with (1) Brush Head, Black Lava||£126.72||Check it out.|
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 16:12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe Oral B io Series 6 was launched one year after launching the iO7, eight and nine. It offers an even less expensive model but retains several of the most desired components of the iO range. The crucial difference here’s the charging stand. Check Oral B IO Series 6 vs 7 vs 8 vs 9 Reviews
The iO Series six doesn’t include a magnetic charging stand. Rather, it has a charging stand generally offered with a lot more economical Oral B brushes.
Therefore you are able to count on a complete charge of the iO6 to take around twelve hours, compared to the three hours of the Oral B io 7, iO9 and Oral B io series 8.
A subtle variation with the charging of the iO6, in comparison to the various other designs, would be that the Oral B io6 shows an accurate battery portion on the display. For instance, forty-two % unlike the iO seven, eight and nine which just showed the battery charge in ten % increments.
The Oral B io6 comes fitted with five cleaning modes and a white and black display, just like the Series seven. It also has sensors and bluetooth connectivity for real-time tracking when you are brushing your teeth.
It retains the iO design in which only compatible iO particular brush heads work with the six Series. The two types of brush heads compatible with the Series six are actually the Ultimate Clean as well as Gentle Care heads.
The Series six is actually offered with two various coloured brush handles (Lava black and Opal grey).
The contents of the box are as follows:
- One x Oral B iO Series six brush handle
- Two x Ultimate Clean brush head
- One x Charging stand
You also get one travelling case (a tough plastic case) which is going to hold the brush handle and up to two brush heads. Unlike the Oral B io 9 Series the io6 travelling case does not have a USB charging port and therefore you cannot recharge the brush via the travelling case.
As stated earlier, the Oral B io6 is the cheapest of the io ranges partly due to the lack of auxiliary features like no magnetic charging or USB charging with the travelling case.
|Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean Electric Toothbrush, Black||Check it out.|
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 17:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 HX6870/47 is a new version of the once highly rated, most expensive Philips Sonicare Diamondclean. This one is quite cheap by mile compared to the old Diamondclean toothbrush.
Apart from the 6100 version, there are also 4300 and 5100 models (Check Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4300 vs 5100 vs 6100 Review).
Does this Sonicare ProtectiveClean meets our previously set criteria, let us find out by assessing its key features:
- 3 cleaning modes (daily clean, whitening and gum care) compared to 5 of old Sonicare Diamondclean using BrushSync Technology that pair the brush head with the right cleaning mode
- 2 weeks of battery life
- Premium travel case
- 2 Years warranty
No Bluetooth functionality enabled
Moreover, the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean Electric Toothbrush, Black also comes with other important features such as the 2 minute built-in timer with pacer, glass charger, 3 brush heads, light ring pressure sensor, brush head replacement reminder and more.
Check how the 6100 model compares with other best Sonicare electric toothbrushes.
4. Oral B Smart 6 6000 Electric Toothbrush
|Oral-B Smart 6 Electric Toothbrushes For Adults, Christmas Gifts For Women , Him, App Connected...||£69.99||Check it out.|
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 05:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe Oral-B 6 6000 is one of the premiums, top rated, and best selling electric toothbrushes UK. But does it meet our selection criteria; let us figure out by checking its key features as compared to the first 2 best electric toothbrushes UK.
- 5 cleaning modes (Daily clean, gum care, sensitive, whitening and deep clean) with a cleaning mode button that you can press to cycle through the modes
- 2 weeks battery life, much better than the Oral B SmartSeries 6500 with 7 to 10 days battery life
- Premium travel case made up of soft touch plastic material
- 2 Years warranty that can be extended to 3 by registering it online
- Check Oral B Smart 6000 vs 6500 vs Pro 3 – Which is Better?
Same as all Oral B toothbrushes, this one also is noisy compared to Philips Sonicare toothbrushes
Apart from these, the Oral B Smart 6 6000 like the 9000, comes with a visible pressure sensor, 2 minute built-in timer, battery indicator, 2 years warranty that can be extended to 3 by registering it on Oral B site, 3 brush heads, Bluetooth functionality and much more.
|Philips Sonicare for Kids Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth, Coaching App, 2 Brush Heads, 2 Modes...||£44.70||Check it out.|
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 09:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe Philips Sonicare for Kids , HX6321/02 Bluetooth Connected Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush aged 3 to 10 years old has all customization features to make your child brush for 2 minutes recommended dentist brushing time for healthy teeth.
Key features of the Philips Sonicare for Kids
- 2 cleaning modes
- 8 stickers for customizing the toothbrush look
- Kid timer and quad pacer
- Bluetooth connectivity and coaching app
- 3 weeks battery life
- Rubberized brush head and soft bristles for gently teeth cleaning
- 2 buttons: One for switching on and off and another one for changing cleaning modes.
- 2 years warranty
- A brush head cover
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 08:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIOral B Pro 2 2500 is more or less the same as the Oral B Pro 2 2000 with only a few differences related to a travel case and different colour handle. It is quite basic and cheap when compared to the premium Oral B electric toothbrushes like Oral B Genius 9000 with more features and a lot of bells and whistles.
- 2 cleaning modes: daily clean and gum care
- Built-in 2 minute timer with pacer
- Built-in pressure sensor
- Blue bristles that fade with time
- 1 brush head
- 3D cleaning action: rotates, vibrates and pulsates
- Travel case
- 2 weeks battery life (Lithium-ion battery) with a battery indicator that flashed red when charger runs off, green when it is charging and none when it is full.
- 2-year warranty that can be extended to three by registering on the Oral B website.
- Check how this budget electric toothbrush 2500 model compares with the 2900 in our Oral B Pro 2 2000 vs 2500 vs 2900 Review
- No Bluetooth Connectivity
- Lacks whitening and tongue cleaning mode in case you want to use it for whitening your teeth by removing surface stains or cleaning your tongue respectively.
Best Electric Toothbrushes FAQ
Whether the electric toothbrush damage gums or not depends on how you brush your teeth and gums.
Brushing Too Hard
Using an electric toothbrush is different from using the manual one. While with the manual brush you apply some pressure and do some scrubbing to clean your teeth. With the electric one, you are advised against applying too much pressure or even scrubbing your teeth. Just guide the toothbrush to do its job. Brushing too hard can lead to gum recession.
When buying an electric brush, make sure it has a pressure sensor. This feature will alert you every time you apply too much effort on your teeth.
Over Brushing Your Teeth and Gums
Dentists recommend that you brush for two minutes time, twice a day. But the habit of brushing your teeth every time you eat while not bad, too much of it for too long can also damage your gums more than doing it any good. At least 3 times a day but not more to help prevent wearing out the tooth enamel and gums (https://premieredentalarts.com/do-you-brush-your-teeth-too-much/).
Not Changing Brush Head on Time
It is advised to change brush heads every 3 months, failure to do so damage gums exposing them to gum disease. Bristles wear out over time leaving sharp edges that if continue used without changing the brush head wears out the enamel and gums. And apart from that brushes accumulates germs over time, using them unchanged expose our gums to these bacteria causing gum disease.
Electric toothbrushes have reminders to help you remember change your brush after every three month of use like fading blue bristles on Oral B toothbrushes. Alternatively you can set a reminder on your phone or calendar or subscribe to a service to the service that delivers new brush heads after every three months time. (https://www.getquip.com/blog/why-change-your-brush-head-every-3-months)
Apart from brushing your teeth and gums, you still have to floss them too. Keeping up with good Oral hygiene is the way out to keeping your teeth and gums as healthy as possible.
Whether electric toothbrushes whiten your teen or not depends mainly on how stained your teeth are and whether those are just surface stains or deep stains.
Surface stains are the yellow stains caused by smoking, drinking tea, coffee, red wine, eating curries, and some fruits and medicine. Deep stains, on the other hand, are yellow stains ingrained deep inside your teeth caused by long term un-attended surface stains, genetic, age, and diseases.
Electric toothbrushes like the Oral B Smart 6 6000 comes with a 3D brush head and a whitening mode helps remove surface stains. The 3D white brush head has a whitening cup for scrubbing teeth surface stains better than using other brush heads.
And so are the whitening toothpastes and over the counter whitening kit cannot give you a celebrity look. This is because the main chemical that is capable of whitening your teeth is the ‘peroxide’ that is found in most whitening toothpaste and whitening kits but not strong enough to make your teeth super white.
It is illegal in the UK for companies to use strong ‘peroxide’ on their products due to side effects caused by unsupervised use of peroxide that causes burning, swelling, and tooth loss. Only dentists are allowed to offer proper teeth whitening services (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42906910).
If you want to whiten your teeth, make arrangement with your dentist to do what they call ‘in-office teeth whitening procedure.’
Yes and in many ways, the electric toothbrush is worth the investment.
Timed Cleaned: The electric brushes takes guessing out of the brushing habit. With a two minute timer you are quite sure that at least you will be brushing your teeth at the recommended dentist 2 minutes time.
Pressure sensor: Applying too much energy while brushing leads to gum recession and wears out tooth enamel. To assist this electric tooth brushes comes with in-built pressure sensors that alerts you when you brush your teeth too hard.
Tracking tools: For those who are serious with taking care of their teeth, some brushes are Bluetooth enabled to help you connect with specialized apps for tracking how you brush your teeth and how often and offer you proper guidance on how to do it well in real time.
Different brush heads for different times: with electric brush you do not have excuses of not brushing your teeth and gums because they are sensitive and very painful. There are brush heads and cleaning modes for sensitive teeth and gums.
Last update on 2023-09-24 at 06:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Dentists recommend both Oral and Sonicare electric toothbrushes because of the many studies done on both Oral B and Sonicare showing that they are capable of removing plaque and improving gum health better than the manual toothbrushes. It is only the design and the cleaning mechanism that differentiate them but both aim at delivering clean, healthy mouth
Both have 2 minutes timers with a pacer, pressure sensor, more cleaning modes and brush heads to cater for every cleaning need and some other add-ons such as Bluetooth connectivity, position detection and UV Sanitizer depending on which model you end up choosing
Read more about Oral B vs Sonicare.
How do I Choose an Electric Toothbrush?
The electric toothbrush is able to do all manner of functions at prices that are quite different. The most crucial options to when choosing for a electric-powered toothbrush are:
- Two-second timer: A timer helps you to make sure you brush for two minutes every time, and that is suggested by dentists for effective teeth cleaning.
- Pacer: This informs you when to move from one zone of the mouth to the next. A pacer allows you to distribute your brushing time consistently across all areas of the jaws.
- Pressure sensor: Frequently brushing with too much force will seriously harm the gums. A pressure sensor alerts you when you’re brushing too much so you are able to modify your method. More affordable versions can continue to incorporate options to guarantee the best clean-like pressure sensors, to alert you when overbrushing to decrease the likelihood of causing long term harm to your gums and teeth from overbrushing.
- Electric battery power: Most manufacturers guarantee approximately fourteen days’ charge retention. Whether a toothbrush does that or perhaps not is basically right down to the battery type utilized – a Ni MH electric battery is basic, while a lithium-ion battery lasts long.
- Dentist recommendation: Where a toothbrush is overwhelmingly advised by dentists, oral care specialists, and hygienists, it is worth considering it.
- If you have braces, check Best Electric Toothbrush For Braces
- Cost of replacement brush heads: The price of replacement heads impacts the long-term ownership cost. It’s well worth factoring into your decision. Oral-B brush heads are less costly compared to Sonicare. It is suggested you change your brush head every three months. expensive brush heads can cost a great deal of money down the line when they’ll just be thrown out 3 months. To cut these costs, purchase when there is a deal on and by purchasing in bulk. In many situations, you’ve the option of choosing a third party brush head. There may not be exactly the same range as well as the quality might be changed. But you can find some excellent choices at excellent prices.
Otherwise, which is your best electric toothbrush UK so far? Check Best Black Friday Electric Toothbrush Deals -Oral B, Sonicare.
- Best Electric Toothbrush for 13 to 17 Year Old Teenagers UK 2023
- Oral B Smart 4 4000 vs 4500 vs 4900 (Key Differences and Specs Comparison)
Dr. Tom Bell holds a doctorate in Medical Anthropology and is passionate about oral health. He is the creator of dentalrave and has dedicated over a decade to researching and promoting oral health. His goal is to offer trustworthy and free expert guidance on a diverse range of dental products, tips, methods, and topics, with the aim of making it easily accessible to everyone. It is hoped that this blog will assist you in identifying the appropriate methods and oral care products to enhance and maintain your dental health.
Table of Contents