The Best Electric Toothbrush UK 2019: What is a nice thing than getting the best toothbrush that meets your personal needs and budget?
On account of this, we have reviewed several electric toothbrushes in our blog in the search for the best one to go for UK 2019.
And, in the process of reviewing and collecting data, we heard a lot of cries of people not being happy of their overpriced toothbrushes that have low battery life, features that they cannot make use of it, cheap plastic materials used on some accessories like travel cases, cleaning modes with no easy display/switch on button, and brushes being nosier.
This brings you to our selection criteria: What kind of toothbrushes you should expect to find in this article.
Herewith are our top 5 best electric toothbrushes UK 2019 selection criteria:
- Have long battery life of not less than 2 to 3 weeks time.
- Have a premium travel case
- Have cleaning modes with clear display button and easy switch on from one mode to the other
- Have phone holders
- Not noisy
Notice: With quality comes price although not always true but sometimes. In this scenario, we have included all the toothbrushes whether cheap or expensive as far they meet above selection criteria.
Top 5 Best Electric Toothbrushes UK 2019
|No.||Toothbrush||Battery life, weeks||Premium travel case||Mode display button||Phone holder||Not noisy|
|1.||Oral-B Genius 9000||2+||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|2.||Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100||2||Yes||Yes* uses BrushSync Technology||No||Yes|
|3.||Oral-B Smart 6 6000||2||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|4.||Electric Toothbrush Sonic Toothbrush by Fairywill(FW-917)||4||No* (you get a brush head cover only)||Yes||No||No|
|5.||Philips Sonicare for Kids||3||No* (you get a brush head cover only)||-||No||Yes|
Best Overall -Oral-B Genius 9000 Electric Toothbrush
The Oral B Genius 9000 is one of the best selling, top rated electric toothbrushes UK 2019. It has all the bells and whistles to make your teeth cleaning a delight.
Does this electric toothbrush meet our above selection criteria? Let us find out by analyzing its key features first.
- 6 cleaning modes (Daily clean, gum care, sensitive, whitening, deep clean and tongue cleaner) with clear display button and easy switch on from one mode to the other
- Has a battery life of more than 2 weeks time (Lithium Ion Battery)
- Comes with a premium USB chargeable travel case that can be used to charge both your toothbrush and phone
- Includes a stick on the wall Smartphone holder for holding your phone while using Bluetooth functionality to track your brushing habit.
- Has 2 Years warranty that can be extended to 3 by registering it online
Like all other Oral B toothbrush, the Oral B Genius 9000 is noisy compared to Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes.
Apart from that this premium brush by Oral B has other great features such as Bluetooth connectivity, smart ring, pressure sensor, 2 minute timer, 3D cleaning action, and comes with 4 brush heads.
For a detailed review about all these features, read our detailed Oral B Genius 9000 Electric Toothbrush Reviews.
Best Rated - Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 electric toothbrush is a new version of the once highly rated, most expensive Philips Sonicare Diamondclean. This one is quite cheap by mile compared to the old Diamondclean toothbrush.
Apart from the 6100 version, there are also 4100 and 5100 models.
Does this Sonicare ProtectiveClean meet our previously set criteria, let us find out by assessing its key features:
- 3 cleaning modes (daily clean, whitening and gum care) compared to 5 of old Sonicare Diamondclean using BrushSync Technology that pair the brush head with the right cleaning mode
- 2 weeks of battery life
- Premium travel case
- 2 Years warranty
No Bluetooth functionality enabled
Moreover, the Sonicare ProtectiveClean also comes with other important features such as the 2 minute built-in timer with pacer, glass charger, 3 brush heads, light ring pressure sensor, brush head replacement reminder and more.
For detailed review, read our complete Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean Electric Toothbrush Reviews
Best Selling - Oral B Smart 6 6000 Electric Toothbrush
The Oral B Smart 6 6000 Electric Toothbrush is one of the premium, top rated, and best selling electric toothbrushes UK. But does it meet our selection criteria; let us figure out by checking its key features in comparison to the first 2 best electric toothbrushes UK 2019.
- 5 cleaning modes (Daily clean, gum care, sensitive, whitening and deep clean) with a cleaning mode button that you can press to cycle through the modes
- 2 weeks battery life, much better than the Oral B SmartSeries 6500 with 7 to 10 days battery life
- Premium travel case made up of soft-touch plastic material
- 2 Years warranty that can be extended to 3 by registering it online
Same as all Oral B toothbrushes, this one also is noisy compared to Philips Sonicare toothbrushes
Apart from these, the Oral B Smart 6 6000 like the 9000, comes with a visible pressure sensor, 2 minute built-in timer, battery indicator, 2 years warranty that can be extended to 3 by registering it on Oral B site, 3 brush heads, Bluetooth functionality and much more.
Read a detailed Oral B Smart 6 6000 electric toothbrush review here
Best Cheap Electric Toothbrush Sonic Fairywill FW-917
The Sonic Fairywill FW-917 electric toothbrush is one of the cheapest, best value electric toothbrushes under £50.
- 3 cleaning modes (clean, sensitive and gum care) clearly displayed on the handle with a mode button for switching from one mode to the other.
- 4 weeks battery life (30 days)
- Transparent plastic brush head cover
- USB port -Uses a standard USB phone charger, no need for a special charger or charging stand
- 1 Year Warranty
You also get 3 brush heads, 2 minutes timer with pacer, special Interdental brush for cleaning between the teeth. And like other electric toothbrushes, the Sonic Fairywill FW-917 FW-917 is also completely waterproof.
- It is a bit noisy
- Does not last long
- Weaker vibrations compared to Oral B and Philips Sonicare toothbrushes
If you are looking for an affordable electric toothbrush to get you started, this is the best value toothbrush to have. It has great features to wish for, definitely better than the manual toothbrush.
Best Kids Electric Toothbrush – Philips Sonicare for Kids Connected
Our best kids electric toothbrush 2019 that meets best criteria is the Philips Sonicare for kids aged 3 to 10 years old. This toothbrush has all the bells and whistles to make your child brush for 2 minutes recommended dentist brushing time for healthy teeth.
Otherwise, you can also check, the Oral B stages electric toothbrush for 3 to 6 years old, and the Oral B Junior for 6 to 12 year Old.
Apart from the younger ones, there is also Oral B Teen electric toothbrush for 13 to 18 year old teenagers.
Find all these children electric toothbrushes in our best electric toothbrush for kids 2019 reviews page.
Key features of the Philips Sonicare for Kids
- 2 cleaning modes
- 8 stickers for customizing the toothbrush look
- Kid timer and quad pacer
- Bluetooth connectivity and coaching app
- 3 weeks battery life
- Rubberized brush head and soft bristles for gently teeth cleaning
- 2 buttons: One for switching on and off and another one for changing cleaning modes.
- 2 years warranty
- A brush head cover
Read detailed Philips Sonicare for kids review.
Do Electric Toothbrush Damage Gums?
Whether the electric toothbrush damage gums or not depends on how you brush your teeth and gums.
Brushing Too Hard
Using an electric toothbrush is different from using the manual one. While with the manual brush you apply some pressure and do some scrubbing to clean your teeth. With the electric one, you are advised against applying too much pressure or even scrubbing your teeth. Just guide the toothbrush to do its job. Brushing too hard can lead to gum recession.
When buying an electric brush, make sure it has a pressure sensor. This feature will alert you every time you apply too much effort on your teeth.
Over Brushing Your Teeth and Gums
Dentists recommend that you brush for two minutes time, twice a day. But the habit of brushing your teeth every time you eat while not bad, too much of it for too long can also damage your gums more than doing it any good. At least 3 times a day but not more to help prevent wearing out the tooth enamel and gums (https://premieredentalarts.com/do-you-brush-your-teeth-too-much/).
Not Changing Brush Head on Time
It is advised to change brush heads every 3 months, failure to do so damage gums exposing them to gum disease. Bristles wear out over time leaving sharp edges that if continue used without changing the brush head wears out the enamel and gums. And apart from that brushes accumulates germs over time, using them unchanged expose our gums to these bacteria causing gum disease.
Electric toothbrushes have reminders to help you remember change your brush after every three month of use like fading blue bristles on Oral B toothbrushes. Alternatively you can set a reminder on your phone or calendar or subscribe to a service to the service that delivers new brush heads after every three months time. (https://www.getquip.com/blog/why-change-your-brush-head-every-3-months)
Apart from brushing your teeth and gums, you still have to floss them too. Keeping up with good Oral hygiene is the way out to keeping your teeth and gums as healthy as possible.
Do Electric Toothbrushes Whiten Teeth?
Whether electric toothbrushes whiten your teen or not depends mainly on how stained your teeth are and whether those are just surface stains or deep stains.
Surface stains are the yellow stains caused by smoking, drinking tea, coffee, red wine, eating curries, and some fruits and medicine. Deep stains, on the other hand, are yellow stains ingrained deep inside your teeth caused by long term un-attended surface stains, genetic, age, and diseases.
Electric toothbrushes like the Oral B Smart 6 6000 comes with a 3D brush head and a whitening mode helps remove surface stains. The 3D white brush head has a whitening cup for scrubbing teeth surface stains better than using other brush heads.
And so are the whitening toothpastes and over the counter whitening kit cannot give you a celebrity look. This is because the main chemical that is capable of whitening your teeth is the ‘peroxide’ that is found in most whitening toothpaste and whitening kits but not strong enough to make your teeth super white.
It is illegal in the UK for companies to use strong ‘peroxide’ on their products due to side effects caused by unsupervised use of peroxide that causes burning, swelling, and tooth loss. Only dentists are allowed to offer proper teeth whitening services (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42906910).
If you want to whiten your teeth, make arrangement with your dentist to do what they call ‘in-office teeth whitening procedure.’
Is An Electric Toothbrush Worth The Investment?
Yes and in many ways, the electric toothbrush is worth the investment.
- Timed Cleaned: The electric brushes takes guessing out of the brushing habit. With a two minute timer you are quite sure that at least you will be brushing your teeth at the recommended dentist 2 minutes time.
- Pressure sensor: Applying too much energy while brushing leads to gum recession and wears out tooth enamel. To assist this electric tooth brushes comes with in-built pressure sensors that alerts you when you brush your teeth too hard.
- Tracking tools: For those who are serious with taking care of their teeth, some brushes are Bluetooth enabled to help you connect with specialized apps for tracking how you brush your teeth and how often and offer you proper guidance on how to do it well in real time.
- Different brush heads for different times: with electric brush you do not have excuses of not brushing your teeth and gums because they are sensitive and very painful. There are brush heads and cleaning modes for sensitive teeth and gums like in this best selling Oral B Pro 2 2500.
If you can afford to invest 30 pound or more, for sure it is worth buying an electric toothbrush.