Philips Sonicare 9700 vs 9500? What differentiates the Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart 9500 from 9700 is the number of the brush head, toothbrush colour variations, cleaning intensity and the price. While the Philips Sonicare 9500 comes with five brush heads and a USB charging port . The Sonicare 9700 on the other hand comes with seven brush heads ( 3 gum care premium brush heads,3 high quality plaque control brush heads and one tongue cleaning brush head), and a USB compatible charger .
Also while the Sonicare 9500 comes in four distinct colours: (Pink, Black, Grey and Rose-gold/white), the 9700 electric toothbrush comes in just one distinctive colour: Lunar.
Another difference between these two electric toothbrushes is in their cleaning intensity in which the Philips Sonicare 9700 has three cleaning intensities (high, medium and low) while the 9500 does not have. And this is reflected in the price whereby the Sonicare 9700 is more expensive compared to the 9500 model.
Philips Sonicare Diamondclean 9700 Review
The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean 9700 also called, Lunar Blue – HX9957/51 has three intensities (high, mid, low) you can vary the intensity of the brush strokes depending on your needs. The three intensity settings allow you to boost the brushing intensity as and when required.
- It provides personalized coaching and progress data on how well you are cleaning your teeth.
- It has a smart sensor brush head (a microchip fitted in the brush head) that recognizes the brush head you are using and syncs the cleaning mode compatible with that brush head for best results. For instance, if you have the adaptive brush head, it will sync your brush to deep clean. If you have the Intercare brush head, you will be synced with the sensitive mode and so forth.
- The Brush heads automatically align with the best cleaning mode and intensity for optimal results.
- It provides real-time tracking of your brushing.
- It guides you to be more effective and gentle with your brushing
- It has a pressure sensor and a scrubbing sensor that gently reminds you to reduce scrubbing if you are brushing so hard. A ring of light at the bottom of the handle flashes to alert you that you are brushing too hard.
- The app provides a 3D map of the mouth that identifies your trouble areas and reminds you to pay more attention to them.
- The app tracker reminds you when to replace the brush heads
- It has a tongue cleaner that removes odors from your mouth.
- Like all DiamondClean brushes, it has 5 cleaning modes that cover all your brushing needs (clean, whitening, sensitive, deep clean and gum care).
- Removes ten times more plaque than a manual brush
- It provides you up to seven times healthier gums in only two weeks
- It is clinically proven to reduce up to 100% reduced inflammation on gums.
- It removes 100% more stains in a span of three days thanks to densely packed centre bristles.
- The App has a “Touch-up” functionality that takes you back to areas you might not have brushed well to ensure that every brushing session is 100% effective.
- Like the normal DiamondClean, you get a sleek wireless charging glass charger and the deluxe USB travel case that also doubles up as a charger.
- It has Bluetooth 4.0 enabled tablets and is compatible with IOS; Ipad third generation and higher; iPhone 4S or higher and IOS7+(higher). It has slim custom ergonomic handles just like other DiamondClean brushes that have no app functionality.
What’s in the Box of the Philips Sonicare 9700
- One DiamondClean Smart Handle
- Three Plaque Control brush heads (Premium)
- Two top quality Gum Care brush heads
- 2 high-end White brush heads
- one tongue cleaner
- One Glass charger and Travel case with USB
- Smart Brush Head Recognition
The manufactures of the DiamondClean, have not only introduced the Sonicare 9700 lunar blue, they have also improved the efficiency and functionally of their high priced toothbrush, the DiamondClean. They have introduced a new brush head called the Adaptive Clean. The Smart series is mainly marketed for adults, in case you want to buy your young ones a decent toothbrush then see our list.
Is Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Worth it?
Let us examine its key features to find out.
Electric Toothbrush Functionality
Philips Sonicare is so keen on research that will make their product as effective as can be. This is especially the case with their top flagship Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart Sonic Series. Sonicare has been described as testing their products with the rigor of a “mad-scientist”. The sonic 31000 bristle strokes and brush density is a culmination of vigorous testing and calibration.
Every stroke makes two movements, so when you are brushing your teeth, the toothbrush makes 62000 movements per minute. This is the number which scientific findings show to be the most efficient in removing plaque.
Shape and Form of Bristles
The bristles are carefully formed into a diamond shape and crammed quite tightly to increase their density in comparison to the manual brush. The diamond shaped brush head and high-density bristles have the right balance of pressure and depth that gives excellent results when cleaning your teeth. This toothbrush uses easy click-on brush heads that effortlessly snap onto the handle.
Arrangement of Bristles
The arrangement of the bristles is also backed by scientific research. The center bristles are relatively shorter. They are mainly used to dislodge plaque from the top surface of your teeth. The bristles at the front and back of the brush head are longer. They are designed to deal with the plaque on your gumline and in between your teeth. This toothbrush can be used on teeth with braces, crowns, periodontal pockets and veneers.
At the base of the DiamondClean Smart there is a luminous ring that flashes light when you are brushing too hard to alert you whenever you brush too hard. Brushing too hard is not recommended because they erode the gumline.
Like most Philips Sonicare brushes, this cleaner has easy start functionality. This functionality allows you to use a reduced number of vibrations that gradually increase for 14 days until you get used to the Sonicare brushing experience and routine.
This toothbrush is surprisingly quite lightweight light and easy to use. The handle has a good grip and is finished in matte which is easier to maintain and clean than rubber.
Quadpacer, Buzzers, and Timers
This toothbrush like most electric toothbrushes has a quadpacer that buzzes every 30 seconds to give you a signal that you should move to the next section of your teeth. There is also a timer that automatically switches the toothbrush off when you have brushed for the dentist-recommended two minutes. The quadpacer and timer keep you on track for exceptional cleaning experience.
The handles have an angled oblong shape which aids in reaching those hard to reach areas to clean like at the back of molar.
The unique shape of your DiamondClean toothbrush handle combined with your brush heads means that even tricky spots like back teeth get a thorough clean.
As already pointed out this toothbrush comes with three new brush heads.
- The Intercare for sensitive teeth;
- The DiamondClean for regular cleaning ;
- Adaptive for comprehensive deep cleaning.
The new kid on the block is obviously the Adaptive brush head that makes 4 times more contact with the surface of your tooth that any other toothbrush head out there.
Regardless of the brush head you use, you can use all the brushing modes. The DiamondCleam has a chip on its brush heat that intuitively pairs the correct mode with the brush head of Your choice.
Blue Indicator Bristles and Protector Caps
The brush heads have blue indicator bristles that fade out when the bristles wear out. This alerts you that the brush head needs to be replaced.
The bristles have a protective caps to hygienically store the brush heads.
We have already discussed this but will point out key features: The beauty of this toothbrush is that you don’t have to deal with messy wires or cables. Using the power of magnetic induction, a sleek and classy glass charges your brush. You can also use the glass to rinse your mouth. You also get a funky travel charger that has a USB charging port; you can charge it on any of your smart devices.
Feel and Look
- This brush does not have rubber strips but rather has a ceramic feel around it. It has a nice grip. Apart from the on/off button, the brush handle is seamless and quite lightweight.
- The brush head is somewhat elongated and the bristles are relatively soft.
Effectiveness and Customization
While using both brushes will no doubt enhance your teeth brushing regime and give you superior results compared to an average toothbrush. However, when it comes to effectiveness and customization, the DiamondClean Smart is Superior.
Not only does it automatically pair your brush head with the correct brushing mode via a chip that is fitted in the brush head, it also has 3D mouth mapping that tracks how effectively you brush each and every tooth.
Any tooth that does not receive adequate cleaning is flagged up in the app for repeat brushing. How good is that? After you re-do the missed zones, your teeth will have received a perfect clean that will keep you away from the dentist chair.
The new DiamondClean Smart exceptional results come at a cost though. It is relatively more expensive than the regular DiamondClean and is quite popular with celebrities like Beyonce and Oprah Winfrey who on record prefer the DiamondClean Smart.
In summary, you just want a basic top end brush that will do the job without bells and rings, then the regular DiamondClean is the one for you. However, if you want to notch things a bit higher, then the DiamondClean Smart is your baby. It will help you immensely improve your teeth cleaning skills and be much more effective in ensuring all zones in your mouth are adequately cleaned.
Made in China vs Germany
It is not easy to talk about a Sonicare toothbrush without the compulsion to wonder how it compares with a similar Oral B model. All Philips Sonicare toothbrushes are made in China. This does not compromise the quality in any way because they have rigorous quality control measures in place. Compared to Oral B that manufactures their brushes in Germany, Sonicare brushes are just as durable as those of Oral B. It is all down to quality control parameters in place.
Sonicare Support and Warranty
As with most high-end Sonicare models, you get two years warranty that covers you against defects and not wears and tears. The customer’s service is always on hand to help whenever you reach out to them.
Philips Sonicare 9500 vs 9700 – Which is Better?
The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9700 is an effective and elegant toothbrush which will improve the way you clean your teeth. Your teeth are guaranteed to be a few shades whiter after just two weeks usage. The many settings cater for all types of dental issues you might have. It is also good to use on any corrective dental supports like braces. This brush has scientifically been proven to remove 10 more plaque than a manual brush.
The adaptive brush heads absorb pressure so that you do not harm your gums when brushing too hard.
You should consider the new Philips Sonicare Diamondclean 9500 because it has a tongue cleaner, a pressure sensor to stop you from brushing too hard and automatic syncing of brush heads with respective cleaning modes Although the brush is expensive you receive lifetime healthy teeth and gums. You get bags of value that outweigh the initial cost.
This toothbrush is elegant and impressive both in form and function. It is designed to provide you with the ultimate and complete dental hygiene and care. It has settings to cater for all periodontal needs.
Some of its impressive features include the patented Sonic technology that makes 31000 bristle strokes per minute. Every stroke makes two movements. This implies that you get 62000 brush movements on your teeth per minutes. These movements sweep fluids in between your teeth to break down plaque even in the hard to reach areas.