Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart and Oral B Genius X are the latest best electric toothbrushes in the market today. Genius X Luxe is an upgrade of the Oral B Genius 9600. Its cool addition is the use of artificial intelligence that learns your brushing habits and suggests the missed areas.
Table of Contents
No any other electric toothbrush uses this technology yet apart from Genius X models. The Diamondclean Smart, on the other hand, is an improved version of the Diamondclean Smart 9700 model with addition to a brush heads storage unit and reduced brush heads number (4 compared to 8 of 9700 model).
Difference between Philips Sonicare Diamondclean and Oral B Genius X
- Oral B Genius X and Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart have more less the same number of modes: daily clean, whitening, deep clean (pro-clean), gum healthy (care), and tongue cleaning. However, Genius X has one more addition, sensitive mode.
- Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart shows cleaning modes names on the brush handle but Genius X shows modes icons on its handle.
- Modes on the Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart are accompanied by three cleaning intensities: high, medium and low to give you full control over the brushing speed you want and you can set which mode you want before switching on the toothbrush. Choose lower settings when cleaning sensitive areas.
- Diamondclean Smart will pair up the brush head with the cleaning mode and cleaning intensity, just insert the brush head and it will set which cleaning mode to use automatically.
- However, for Genius X , you have to switch on the brush first before selecting the cleaning mode and, base your brushing on pre-set speeds; no cleaning intensities to choose or pairing feature when compared to Sonicare Diamondclean .
Last update on 2023-01-29 at 19:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Automatic Power Off
Sonicare Diamondclean Smart switches itself off at the end of each cleaning cycle. This can be so annoying to some of the users who want to brush their teeth for a bit more. And if you have to switch it on again, you have to set the cleaning mode afresh and even the Bluetooth start recording a new session. But in cases of Genius X, you switch off your brush manually after finishing brushing.
Diamondclean Smart comes with 4 brush heads (premium plaque control, gum care, whitening and tongue care plus tongue brush) but Genius X come with 7 (2 cross-action, 1 whitening, 2 floss-action, and 2 gum care).
It is recommended to change the used brush head every three months. Sonicare makes this easy for you through ‘BrushSync technology’. This is an inbuilt-in technology in the Diamondclean Smart models and other latest Sonicare Diamondclean models that has the ability to learn your toothbrush usage and remind you to change the brush head on time through shining amber light on its handle. Brush heads usage data are also stored on the Sonicare Smartphone app to help check it and order replacements heads on time. Oral B Luxe lacks this feature.
Brushing too hard is one of the main causes of receding gum diseases. Pressure sensor helps you overcome this by alerting you every time you brush hard.
The Genius X, 10, 000 brush is also equipped with a ‘gum guard technology’ that detects when you apply too much pressure on your teeth. It slows down the electric toothbrush as a means to alert you to brush gently.
Basically what you are supposed to do with the electric toothbrush is just to guide it where to clean and let it do its job. You are advised against scrubbing or applying any manual efforts as doing so cause damage to both your teeth and gums.
Apart from that, you need to activate the Oral B pressure sensor otherwise it will just apply any of the 12 colours set on its LED light SmartRing.
In terms of colour selection, whereas Sonicare Diamondclean Smart comes in one colour option only, lunar blue, Genius X offers 6 colour options: orchid purple, rose gold, sakura pink, black, white and anthracite black.
Other Deciding Factors
- Both toothbrushes use a built-in Lithium-ion battery. But, whereas, that of Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart lasts for up to 3 weeks time, that of Oral B Genius X last only in two weeks time
- Diamondclean Smart comes with a glass charger, Genius X comes with a normal electric toothbrush charging stand.
- They both come with a USB charger for charging your brush on go. Diamondclean Smart case is of leather material while that of Genius X is made up of silicone material. You get a global adapter to use with Genius X 10000 when abroad.
- Diamondclean Smart will auto-detect which cleaning mode and intensity to use according to the attached brush head type. While the Oral B 10000 like all other Genius models will auto-detect which area you are brushing and suggest how to clean it better.
- They both clean better than a manual toothbrush
- All come with a 2-minute timer and pacer
- Both have Bluetooth connectivity and mobile app to guide and help to perfect your brushing.
Which Is Better, Oral B Genius X or Sonicare Diamondclean Smart?
Based on the main differences discussed above, in terms of functionality, Oral B Genius X is the best. Its cool Artificial intelligence System that reminds you where you have forgotten to clean accompanied with ‘gum guard technology’ that slows down the brush when you brush hard, makes this the best electric toothbrush to have for improving general oral health. And the best part this Oral B Luxe is cheaper than the Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart.
- Philips Sonicare Diamondclean Smart 9700 vs Protectiveclean 6100
- Oral-B IO Series 9 vs Philips Sonicare Diamondclean 9700 vs 9900 Prestige
Dr. Tom Bell has a PhD in Medical Anthropology. He has a keen interest in oral health topics and is the founder of dentalrave. He has been an oral health researcher and electric toothbrush enthusiast for over 10 years. When not talking about dental hygiene and gadgets, Tom likes spending time outdoors hiking.