Toddler’s electric toothbrush makes them warm up to brushing their teeth. Toddlers like fun stuff to keep them engaged. In this article, we have reviewed what we consider to be the best electric toothbrush for toddlers in 2019.
A common feature in our selection is the fact that most of the brushes have flashing lights, music, and cartoons to excite your baby.
For over 2 years old babies, check the best electric toothbrush for kids 2019.
Best Toothbrush for Toddlers 2019
1. Brush-Baby Electric Toothbrush
- It has lights, vibrations, and a rhythmic pulse for 30 seconds reminder for each quadrant.
- The brush head has a small footprint and soft dentist inspired silicone bristles that do not splay easily.
- It is marketed as suitable for 0-3-year-olds.
In our opinion its the best toothbrush for 15-18 month old. It is quite a revelation because the brush baby complete package comes with teething chewable brushes ideal for toddlers with no teeth.
Brush Baby is the Best Toothbrush for 18 month old
It quite suitable for 18 months olds because it has soft sonic vibrations that are gentle enough for this age range. It also has a tiny brush head compatible with toddlers.
It is quite flexible in that you can choose to turn the vibrations and light on or off whenever you want.
The two minutes timer is marked by flashing lights while the quadpacer (30 seconds quartet/zone reminder) has a pulse reminder.
It is powered by rechargeable triple AAA batteries that last long; approximately 2-3 years.
Pros of the Brush-Baby- Best Toothbrush for Toddler
- It has LED lighting on the brush head which makes it quite exciting for toddlers.
- It is quite durable and can withstand the rough and tumble children expose it to.
- It is easy to get replacement heads.
- It is lightweight, perfect for toddlers
The lighted head and vibrations easily hook children even those who are stubbornly reluctant to brush their teeth. You can choose to have only lights or light and vibrations which give you added flexibility.
The head comes off fairly easily and should be used with parental supervision.
2. OJV Professional Toddler Electric Toothbrush
- It comes in two colors: pink and blue.
- It comes with a sheet of fun cartoon pictures on the handle which babies find interesting.
- It has a USB charging port and the base and light that indicates the brushing mode in use.
- It has two minutes times and popular children melodies that will lure your kid to keep brushing for the recommended two minutes.
The two minutes time trains children early on to develop good oral cleaning habits of cleaning for at least two minutes as recommended by dentists.
The OJV operates on sonic brushing technology that makes 30000 brush strokes per minutes. These strokes make gentle vibrations that children find quite exciting.
Thanks to the multiple vibrations this toddler electric toothbrush removes 75% more plaque than a manual brush which means that your baby gets a head start in keeping their teeth clean and tartar free.
The OJV Professional Kids Electric Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush with 2 Dental Care Modes 4 Songs and 2 Replaceable Brush Heads (Pink-Sonic Toothbrush) has music, light and it spins (well, vibrates) three things that toddlers love most for fun activity. Your baby will have fun using this brush.
Benefits of OJV Toddler Electric Toothbrush
It has a small size brush head fitted with soft bristles that are convenient for children’s small mouths. It has replacement brush heads which is ideal to keep the toothbrush in peak performance when the current bristles get frayed.
- The handle is ergonomic and skid free; easy for babies to handle.
- It is waterproof which makes it easy to clean and maintain especially with kids who like playing with water. It can also be used in the shower
- It has an inbuilt USB charger which makes it convenient to charge using any of your smart devices (phone. Laptop Ipad etc).
- It has a music function that makes children brush for longer and makes teeth cleaning fun. Music played include “London Bridge is burning…” “if you are happy and you know it …”
- It has two modes, gentle and clean mode, this enables to vary the frequency of the brush strokes whenever needed.
- Buying replacement head every four to six months may add up in cost in the long run, but on the flip side, you get quality brush heads that will actually break down plaque and leave your baby with clean plaque-free teeth.
- Some parents find the music to be a bit loud but I bet you, your kids love the music.
3. Colgate Toddler Electric Toothbrush
It Oscillates and vibrates at 20,000 vibrations per minute. Oscillation is deemed better at removing food residue from your mouth.
The Colgate Blaze talks to your toddler using character voices as they brush their teeth.
It teaches and guides them as they progress through the different quarters of the mouth and congratulates them when they hit the recommended two minutes.
It has no replacement heads but usually lasts for 3-6 months. The Colgate Blaze comes in a package of 3 (Ninja, transformer and ) the Ninja one talks.
- It’s a talking toothbrush that easily sparks interest in children
- It comes with cartoon and monster pictures that toddlers find exciting.
- They have no replacement heads
- The brush head may be slightly bigger for children under 3 years
As the name suggests this brush is both a baby toothbrush and a teether. It is one of the best selling infant toothbrushes on the market.
- It has soft silicone bristles that massage baby’s teeth. It is safe to use on young ones because it doesn’t have anything made from chemical products. It is phthalate BPA and latex free
- It comes in three colours: banana yellow, pink and blue which a good variety that enables you to pair your choice of toothbrush with your kids preferences.
- It is suitable for one year old and even young ones, as young as 3 months.
- They have handles that are easy to grip to give your kid some form of independence.
- You can wash it in a dish washer or even store it the fridge.
5. Jordan Step 1 Baby Soft Toothbrush For Toddlers, 0-2 Years
The Jordan step soft toothbrush for toddlers is specially designed to have a short neck to safeguard babies from swallowing the brush or being pricked by it. It is currently the best selling toothbrush for one-year-olds.
- It has two tufts of colored bristles to signify the amount of toothpaste to be used. Usually, rice sized fluoride toothpaste for one year olds.
- Oval/roundish shaped ergonomic handles that both parents and toddlers can easily grip.
- Ultra small brush heads with very gentle and soft bristles appropriate for baby’s initial teeth.
- It comes in a set of 4 brushes with different bright colors that are attractive to young ones.
- It can also be used for teething.
6. Baby Buddy Finger Toothbrush Stage 2 for Babies/Toddlers, Kids
A finger toothbrush is a small set of soft cleaning bristles worn on the fingertip. Most finger toothbrush bristles are made of the pliable and easy to clean material silicone.
Finger toothbrushes are often worn by people who are brushing teeth that are not their own (think parent-child) to achieve maximum control and avoid causing tooth or gum injury.
The finger toothbrush is fitted onto the finger of the user so the person is able to gently clean the teeth and massage the gumline at angles that no rigid toothbrush would be able to achieve.
Technicians in the healthcare industry often use disposable finger toothbrushes to clean effectively the teeth of their patients without spreading infections.What are the Benefits of Silicone Finger Toothbrushes for Children?
Silicone finger toothbrush is a toothbrush that delivers the unique benefits of soft silicone. This toothbrush is made up of safe and clean nontoxic silicone, contains silver nano and the negative ions released from bristles inhibit the bacteria, viruses and fungi.
The majority of finger toothbrushes are simply flexible silicone sheaths that are slid on to the end of the index finger and stop before the second joint.
A brush must fit snugly onto the fingertip to make sure it will not come off during use and become a choking hazard
- Helps teething by massaging sore gums
- Encourages your child to get used to their feeling of brushing
- Inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi
- Decrease the risk of bacterial and fungal infections
- Massages baby’s gums during teething
- Softer than nylon bristle
- Protects natural surface of the teeth from abrasion and the gums from recession
- Massages young children delicate gums while protecting the enamel layer on the surface of their teeth, strengthening the gums
- Provides interest in child to brush
- Silicone does not damage the skin rather it tends to develop a natural affinity with skin cells
- Ability to eliminate foreign substances and clean the scales
- Can be sterilized in boiling water or sterilizer
- Relieves sensitivity of teeth and tender gums
- A finger toothbrush made from thicker silicone protects the finger of the wearer from those who have a tendency to bight down during brushing
- Gives parents a more sensitive touch on their child’s tender gums
- Allows better access in hard to reach areas
- Very convenient to use
- hygienic and hypoallergic
- nontoxic and nitrosamine free
- free of BPA and PVC
Some varieties of finger toothbrushes come with carrying cases and ultraviolet sensitizing lights to kill bacteria during storage.How to Use Finger Toothbrush?Sterilize before use by immersing in boiling water 2-5 minutes.
- Wash your hands. Place finger toothbrush on index finger. Make sure finger fit5s snugly inside once put on
- Place small amount of toothpaste on bristles
- Use small circular motion to gently brush your baby’s tiny teeth and gums
- After use, wash in hot water with mild soap and rinse thoroughly with clear water
Brush twice a day
- To prevent possible choking hazards inspect before and after each use and replace immediately if any signs of excessive wear appear.
- This toothbrush is not a toy so don’t allow your child to play with it. To be used by adults only
- Wash before initial use
Some finger toothbrush bristles are built into latex gloves so the brush stays on and the wearer and individual receiving the cleaning are both protected from contamination.
Once the finger toothbrush is in place, the user simply applies gentle pressure with the bristles to clean the teeth and gums using a tight circular motion. This type of finger toothbrush is commonly used in healthcare department.
It is good to start your baby on the right path from the get-go. You might be wondering whether it is necessary to start cleaning your baby’s teeth so early. The truth is your baby can easily develop cavities once they start taking solid food.
Dentists recommend that you should start brushing your baby’s teeth (any teeth that have popped out) and gums when you start giving the baby solid food.
A regular toothbrush might be a challenge to introduce at this time that is why infant training toothbrush, massagers, and teethers are quite common at this stage to help steer your toddler into a lifetime of good oral and dental hygiene.
For young toddlers, ideally, you have the option of using a finger toothbrush or one with handles fit for babies. These look like gum massages and can also act as gum massage. It is also advisable to use fluoride-free toothpaste with fruit flavor which is ok even if they swallow it.
Best Toothbrush for Toddlers 2019: Buying Guide
Dentists recommend that you start brushing your child’s when the baby is first introduced to solid food. At this stage, the main objective is to get the kid into the experience of brushing their teeth and developing a routine. 2 year old’s have a very low attention span, to keep them interested in brushing; your best bet is to go for a child’s electric toothbrush age 2. Some electric toothbrushes for kids come fitted with popular songs, flashing lights and cartoon characters. These are the ones that are best suited to keep your toddler engaged until they develop the habit of brushing their teeth as recommended by dentists.
It has been said that electric toothbrushes remove way more plaque than a manual toothbrush. Most children easily connect with an electric toothbrush. This is because of the vibrations; music tones are captivating for kids.
The American Dental Association and American Academy for Pediatric Dentistry recommend that you should clean your baby’s gums shortly after birth in the first or second week. Clean by using a moist clean wiping gauze pad.
After the first baby teeth come out at around 6 months brush your child’s teeth with a tiny sized toothpaste to prevent decay.
Clean in between teeth at least two times a day to ensure you remove any residue. Continue this until you feel confident your baby can brush by themselves. According to research, babies are 38% more likely to brush their teeth (with the supervision of an adult) when using a powered toothbrush than a manual one.
I struggled to get my baby put a brush into her mouth until I got an electric toothbrush for a toddler that had melodies and flashing light. Then brushing baby teeth became fun.