The best toddler toothbrush for your children will excite them into brushing.
The American Dental Association and American Academy for Pediatric Dentistry recommend that you should clean your baby’s gums shortly after birth in the first or second week. Clean by using a moist clean wiping gauze pad.
After the first baby teeth come out at around 6 months brush your child’s teeth with a tiny sized toothpaste to prevent decay.
Clean in between teeth at least two times a day to ensure you remove any residue. Continue this until you feel confident your baby can brush by themselves. According to research, babies are 38% more likely to brush their teeth (with the supervision of an adult) when using a powered toothbrush than a manual one.
I struggled to get my baby put a brush into her mouth until I got an electric toothbrush that had melodies and flashing light. Then brushing baby teeth became fun.
Here is our recommended best toothbrush for toddlers that will turn your baby’s teeth brushing experience from being a chore to a fun activity.
Best Toddler Electric Toothbrush Reviews
- It comes in two colors: pink and blue.
- It comes with a sheet of fun cartoon pictures on the handle which babies find interesting.
- It has a USB charging port and the base and light that indicates the brushing mode in use.
- It has two minutes times and popular children melodies that will lure your kid to keep brushing for the recommended two minutes.
The two minutes time trains children early on to develop good oral cleaning habits of cleaning for at least two minutes as recommended by dentists.
The OJV operates on sonic brushing technology that makes 30000 brush strokes per minutes. These strokes make gentle vibrations that children find quite exciting.
Thanks to the multiple vibrations this toddler electric toothbrush removes 75% more plaque than a manual brush which means that your baby gets a head start in keeping their teeth clean and tartar free.
The OJV Professional Kids Electric Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush with 2 Dental Care Modes 4 Songs and 2 Replaceable Brush Heads (Pink-Sonic Toothbrush) has music, light and it spins (well, vibrates) three things that toddlers love most for fun activity. Your baby will have fun using this brush.
Benefits of OJV Toddler Electric Toothbrush
It has a small size brush head fitted with soft bristles that are convenient for children’s small mouths. It has replacement brush heads which is ideal to keep the toothbrush in peak performance when the current bristles get frayed.
- The handle is ergonomic and skid free; easy for babies to handle.
- It is waterproof which makes it easy to clean and maintain especially with kids who like playing with water. It can also be used in the shower
- It has an inbuilt USB charger which makes it convenient to charge using any of your smart devices (phone. Laptop Ipad etc).
- It has a music function that makes children brush for longer and makes teeth cleaning fun. Music played include “London Bridge is burning…” “if you are happy and you know it …”
- It has two modes, gentle and clean mode, this enables to vary the frequency of the brush strokes whenever needed.
- Buying replacement head every four to six months may add up in cost in the long run, but on the flip side, you get quality brush heads that will actually break down plaque and leave your baby with clean teeth.
- Some parents find the music to be a bit loud but you bet kids enjoy the music.
- It has lights, vibrations, and a rhythmic pulse for 30 seconds reminder for each quadrant.
- The brush head has a small footprint and soft dentist inspired silicone bristles that do not splay easily.
- It is marketed as suitable for 0-3-year-olds.
In our opinion its the best toothbrush for 15-18 month old. It is quite a revelation because the brush baby complete package comes with teething chewable brushes ideal for toddlers with no teeth.
Brush Baby is the Best Toothbrush for 18 month old
It quite suitable for 18 months olds because it has soft sonic vibrations that are gentle enough for this age range. It also has a tiny brush head compatible with toddlers.
It is quite flexible in that you can choose to turn the vibrations and light on or off whenever you want.
The two minutes timer is marked by flashing lights while the quadpacer (30 seconds quartet/zone reminder) has a pulse reminder.
It is powered by rechargeable triple AAA batteries that last long; approximately 2-3 years.
Pros of the Brush-Baby- Best Toothbrush for Toddler
- It has LED lighting on the brush head which makes it quite exciting for toddlers.
- It is quite durable and can withstand the rough and tumble children expose it to.
- It is easy to get replacement heads.
- It is lightweight, perfect for toddlers
The lighted head and vibrations easily hook children even those who are stubbornly reluctant to brush their teeth. You can choose to have only lights or light and vibrations which give you added flexibility.
The head comes off fairly easily and should be used with parental supervision.
It Oscillates and vibrates at 20,000 vibrations per minute. Oscillation is deemed better at removing food residue from your mouth.
The Colgate Blaze talks to your toddler using character voices as they brush their teeth.
It teaches and guides them as they progress through the different quarters of the mouth and congratulates them when they hit the recommended two minutes.
It has no replacement heads but usually lasts for 3-6 months. The Colgate Blaze comes in a package of 3 (Ninja, transformer and ) the Ninja one talks.
- It’s a talking toothbrush that easily sparks interest in children
- It comes with cartoon and monster pictures that toddlers find exciting.
- They have no replacement heads
- The brush head may be slightly bigger for children under 3 years
It is actually a complete teeth brushing set complete with a fun cup for rinsing and a stand that is shaped as a pony for the toothbrush. The brush is called Prancy the Pony. It has soft bristles that rotate at 4000 rpm. (rotations per minutes).
For the two minutes timer, the Brusheez has a decorated mini hourglass that counts the two minutes recommended by dentists. It comes with two brush heads and an animal-themed decorated head cover.
It is powered by double AA batteries. It comes with accessories to enable mount the brushing unit on the wall. You also get brushing charts to track your child’s teeth cleaning progress.
- It has five-year warranty which is an indication of its durability. They have replacement heads to ensure your brush is always effective and hygienic.
- It is a complete set with the added bonus of animal-themed head covers that protects the brush head from dust and germs.
- The animal theme –Prancy the Pony is quite exciting and makes children associate brushing with fun.
- The fun miniature hourglass inspires good oral habits. Your children will learn to clean for at least two minutes and these are habits they will keep throughout their lives.
- The vibration could be too loud for some people.
- It does not have a quadrant to remind you when you brush each quarter of your mouth.
- The on/off button is a bit hard to push especially for kids below 3.
- It has soft DuPont nylon bristles that are just perfect for children’s tender gums.
- It is waterproof which is good for kids because most kids like playing with water.
- It comes with three replacement heads for maximum durability and flexibility.
- It has the three elements that excite kids most: vibrations, amber flashing lights, and music, it is the ultimate toothbrush that will get your kid love brushing their teeth.
Like most sonic toothbrushes, theLovely Dolphin Design Kids Sonic Electric Toothbrush with Musical LED Light, 2m Timer and 30s Reminder Features, Replaceable 2 Extra Heads.(Sky blue) makes 22000 brush strokes per minutes. These high-frequency movements are sure to dislodge any hidden food residue and plaque.
You are assured the dental health and hygiene of your children will be top notch. The thing with many children is that many of them do not easily warm up to the idea of brushing their teeth but the Lovely Dolphin Design Kids Sonic Electric Toothbrush makes this huddle a breeze.
It is packed with seven popular English kids songs that your kids will find fun listening to when brushing. This combined with a brush head that is lit with colorful shining LED lights is the ultimate plaything for your kids.
The two minutes timer and quadpacer teach your children good teeth cleaning habits from an early age. You can order replacement brush heads directly from the manufacturer’s website.
In case your children have grown up, you may want to check proper best kids electric toothbrushes here. They offer more functionality and customization that allows kids to express themselves and fall in love with cleaning their teeth.
- Operates on sonic technology that makes multiple movements to deeply clean your kids teeth
- It has all the fun features most children like and will make your child be interested in brushing their teeth.
- It is waterproof and can be used in the shower or when your child is playing with water.
- It comes with a stand which makes it easy to store.
It operates on triple AAA batteries which can be cumbersome to replace. Battery life is two months when brushing at least twice every day.
For kids under one year, you may have to use finger toothbrush. This helps soothe kids.
Finger toothbrushes are often worn by people who are brushing teeth that are not their own (think parent-child) to achieve maximum control and avoid causing tooth or gum injury.
The finger toothbrush is fitted onto the finger of the user so the person is able to gently clean the teeth and massage the gumline at angles that no rigid toothbrush would be able to achieve.
Technicians in the healthcare industry often use disposable finger toothbrushes to clean effectively the teeth of their patients without spreading infections.
What are the Benefits of Silicone Finger Toothbrushes for Children?
The majority of finger toothbrushes are simply flexible silicone sheaths that are slid on to the end of the index finger and stop before the second joint.
A brush must fit snugly onto the fingertip to make sure it will not come off during use and become a choking hazard
- Helps teething by massaging sore gums
- Encourages your child to get used to their feeling of brushing
- Inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi
- Decrease the risk of bacterial and fungal infections
- Massages baby’s gums during teething
- Softer than nylon bristle
- Protects natural surface of the teeth from abrasion and the gums from recession
- Massages young children delicate gums while protecting the enamel layer on the surface of their teeth, strengthening the gums
- Provides interest in child to brush
- Silicone does not damage the skin rather it tends to develop a natural affinity with skin cells
- Ability to eliminate foreign substances and clean the scales
- Can be sterilized in boiling water or sterilizer
- Relieves sensitivity of teeth and tender gums
- A finger toothbrush made from thicker silicone protects the finger of the wearer from those who have a tendency to bight down during brushing
- Gives parents a more sensitive touch on their child’s tender gums
- Allows better access in hard to reach areas
- Very convenient to use
- hygienic and hypoallergic
- nontoxic and nitrosamine free
- free of BPA and PVC
Some varieties of finger toothbrushes come with carrying cases and ultraviolet sensitizing lights to kill bacteria during storage.
How to Use Finger Toothbrush?
- Wash your hands. Place finger toothbrush on index finger. Make sure finger fit5s snugly inside once put on
- Place small amount of toothpaste on bristles
- Use small circular motion to gently brush your baby’s tiny teeth and gums
- After use, wash in hot water with mild soap and rinse thoroughly with clear water
Brush twice a day
- To prevent possible choking hazards inspect before and after each use and replace immediately if any signs of excessive wear appear.
- This toothbrush is not a toy so don’t allow your child to play with it. To be used by adults only
- Wash before initial use
Some finger toothbrush bristles are built into latex gloves so the brush stays on and the wearer and individual receiving the cleaning are both protected from contamination.
Once the finger toothbrush is in place, the user simply applies gentle pressure with the bristles to clean the teeth and gums using a tight circular motion. This type of finger toothbrush is commonly used in healthcare department.