Find the best electric toothbrush for receding gums and sensitive teeth reviews 2019: These toothbrushes have pressure sensors, timers and at least two cleaning modes which ensure that you don’t aggravate your gums by brushing too hard, they teach you to brush for at least two minutes and brush all zones of your mouth to effectively deal with plaque. Brushing too hard is one of the causes of gum recession.
Using an electric toothbrush can help you treat gum recession and recede gingivitis (the scientific term for receding gums). Electric toothbrushes and water flossers are more suited for dealing with receding gums because they remove more plaque than manual brushes.
Best Electric Toothbrush For Receding Gums 2019
1. Philips Sonicare 3 Series Gum Health Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare 3 Series Gum Health Electric Toothbrush has been specifically designed to cater for gum health especially gum recession. It has a special brush head called ProResults gum health that is gentle to the gums when cleaning your teeth. It is calibrated for advanced plaque removal
Key Benefits of using the Sonicare 3 Series
- It has blue bristles that remind you when it is time to replace your brush head.
- It has three intensities that cater to your different needs. The low intensities are most suited for receding gums and sensitive teeth because the bristle movements are gentle and less aggressive.
- It removes six times more plaque from under the gumline than an ordinary toothbrush.
- The brush head is oblong shaped to enable it to evenly and gently clean.
- It operates on Sonicare patented technology that makes 62000 bristle movements per minute. The swift bristle movements sweep fluids into deeply hidden parts of your dental structure to remove plaque.
- It has an easy-grip ergonomic handle that is convenient to handle.
- It has a quadpacer and smart timer that help you effectively clean your teeth to the dentist recommended time.
- It has a color-coded charge indicator that alerts you when your battery is running low. Like most Philips Sonicare brushes, the 3 Series has long lasting batteries that can last for three weeks on a single charge.
- It comes with a small compact charger and a traveling charger. It is quite portable.
- Specially designed ProResults brush head that removes six times more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
- Long lasting and two color-coded battery indicator that alerts you when the battery charge is going down.
- Three brushing intensities that cater for your different brushing needs and provides gentle brushing experience.
The 3 series can a slightly noisier than other high end powered toothbrushes.Check the gum health series 3 price here on Amazon
2. Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush
The Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush combines the power of flossing and brushing with an electric toothbrush into one. The Waterpik toothbrush uses pulsations that easily break down plaque and hidden tartar from your teeth and gums.
Flossing removes plaque and food residue from hard to reach zones of your dental structure. The plaque is washed down through focused water pressure directed at your gumline in a flossing action. The pressurized water flowing through a tip massages the gums and removes hidden plaque that could be building up along your gumline.
- Flossing when done well reverse gingivitis in two weeks of continuous use
- It gives you dual cleaning by flossing and brushing with a power brush
- It removes plaque in hidden areas of your mouth where a brush may not reach
- It is quite easy and straightforward to use.
- It comes with an orthodontic.
It is quite bulky when compared to most standard electric toothbrushes.Check the Waterpik Complete Care latest price on Amazon
3. Philips Sonicare HX6921/30 Flexcare Plus Electric Toothbrush for Sensitive Gums
It has five cleaning modes:
- Clean for high standard daily cleaning,
- Re-fresh refreshing and touching up;
- Sensitive mode for cleaning sensitive teeth with gentle bristle strokes;
- Massage mode that stimulates your gums by massaging them to trigger blood flow;
- Gum care mode that cleans for a total of three minutes.
Two minutes for standard exceptional cleaning and an added minute to gently clean under the gum line and other problem areas.
As you can see there are three dedicated cleaning modes for dealing with sensitive and receding gums:
- massage and
- Gum care.
For instance, the massage cleaning mode that enables massaging of gums increases blood flow to the gums which in turn enhances immunity of the gums and protects your gums from harmful bacteria that could be building up.
Meanwhile, the gum care mode in which the gum line and sensitive teeth are gently cleaned without aggravating sensitivity or causing damage to the gum tissue offers you the most appropriate gentle cleaning solution for receding gums and sensitive teeth.
The FlexCare Plus HX6921/30 also uses ProResults brush head that is contoured so as to access those tricky hard to reach areas and under the gum-line without causing any bruises. It removes six times more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
The Flexcare plus platinum has three intensities low, medium and high which you can toggle to your specification. Obviously, low intensity is the most suitable for cleaning sensitive teeth and combat gum recession.Check the Flexcare Plus Sonic latest price on Amazon
4. Sensonic Professional-SR-3000 by Waterpik
The Sensonic Professional-SR-3000 by Waterpik is the other brush on our list. It comes with the toothbrush handle, a standard brush head, compact brush head, interdental brush head, and brush head caps. By interdental we mean, it has a very small brush head suitable clean between your teeth where normal size brush heads cannot reach. The Sensonic Professional-SR 3000 comes with 3 brush heads. One standard, compact and interdental brush head. This is one of the few toothbrushes that has an interdental brush, Oral B, and Sonicare toothbrushes don’t come accessorized with an interdental brush unless you buy it separately.
Additionally, it comes with a stand which charges your toothbrush and a travel case so you can take all of this on the go. The toothbrush itself brushes 25% faster, is 29% more effective at plaque removal and 26% more effective at improving the health of your gums when compared to its competitors like Sonicare Flexcare. The bristles are soft, which is essential when taking preventative measures to gum recession. Within 14 days you will notice brighter teeth as well.
This brush comes with two speeds: by pressing the power button once, you are activating the low speed which is excellent when brushing sensitive gums. To activate the faster speed, press the power button twice.Check the Waterpik Sensonic price on Amazon
5. Philips Sonicare-FlexCare Platinum Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare-FlexCare Platinum Electric Toothbrush for Receeding Gums was designed exclusively with gum care in mind. One of the pricier options on our list, Sonicare-FlexCare Platinum users see improvements in the health of their gums in just 2 weeks. When purchasing the FlexCare-Platinum, you are given the choice of two brush heads.
If you are looking for improved gum health, the InterCare brush heads are recommended as they are very effective in dealing with gingival bleeding and inflammation. Along with the gum health setting, there are two other modes available: Clean and White.
To avoid over brushing, which is a very common cause of gum recession, the pressure sensor on the FlexCare Platinum warns users when they are brushing too hard. This model has been commended for its battery life as well.Check the Sonicare Flexcare Platinum price on Amazon
6. Oral B Pro 3000, Best Electric Toothbrush for Sensitive Gums and Teeth
- It has gum care, sensitive (massage) and daily clean cleaning modes. The gum care and sensitive mode are specially designed to be gentle on the gums while removing plaque and tartar from the gum line.
- It comes with soft bristles which are gentle to the gums and sensitive teeth.
- It also has a pressure sensor to guard you against brushing too hard, aggressive brushing is one of the causes of gum recession.
- The gum care gently massages your gums to stimulate blood flow. The sensitive and gum care modes lower the intensities of the oscillations and pulsations the brush head makes. In the sensitive mode, the pulsations and oscillations are reduced from the standard 8800 oscillations and 40000 pulsations to less aggressive oscillations of 6500 and pulsations of 30000. The low intensities are gentle to your gums but still quite effective at removing plaque.
- The 3000 Oral B pro comes with two brush heads one a sensitive brush head and a standard cross action toothbrush. The sensitive brush head comes with soft bristles that are suitable for sensitive teeth.
- It also has a pressure sensor that alerts you when you are brushing too hards.Brushing aggressively is a key cause of gum recession The sensor will keep you from brushing too hard.
Like most quality electric brushes, the 3000 has timers and quardpacers to enable you to clean all zones of your mouth. It comes with a solid 3 years guarantee.Check the Oral-B Pro 3000 price on Amazon
7. Oral-B Pro-6000 Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Pro-6000 Electric Toothbrush is a great option for those looking for a sensitive toothbrush to fight gum recession. This system comes with five brushing modes, we recommend the sensitive mode if you are having trouble with your gums. This mode uses less rotational power, treating your gum line with care.
Like the FlexCare Platinum, this brush comes with three brush head options: the Floss Action as well as the Sensitive Clean and 3D White. If it’s gum care you’re looking for, the Sensitive Clean head is recommended. Unlike many electronic brushes on the market, this model is also very quiet. What sets the Oral-B Pro-6000 apart from its competitors is the phone app it can be paired with. Using Bluetooth, this app gives you objective insight into your brushing habits.Here is the Oral-B Pro 6000 price on Amazon
Causes and Signs of Receding Gums
What are the causes of receding gums? This is a condition that makes the edge of tissue/gums surrounding your teeth to wear off and exposing the tooth’s root. This makes the root of the tooth to be exposed and can cause all sorts of dental medical conditions raging from tooth sensitivity, pain and even loss of teeth if not treated early. Gum recession creates pockets and gaps in the region between the gum line and your tooth that can be a breeding ground for destructive bacteria. Built up bacteria can cause tartar, decay and ultimately lead to tooth loss.
Signs of Receding Gums
Unless you are alert, you may not notice the development of receding gums because in most times it is painless and occurs gradually over a number of years. Below are some of the signs of the oncoming of receing gums or gingivitis as it is generally called.
Symptoms of receding gums
- Bleeding when brushing your teeth
- Reddening of gums
- Swollen gums
- Teeth getting loose.
- Strange taste in the mouth
- Signs of pus around you gum and teeth
What are the causes of gum recession?
The main causes of receding teeth can be broadly categorized as poor alignment of teeth (malocclusion in dentistry terminology); the kind of food we eat and lack of attention o the hygiene of your teeth.
- Periodontal disease: This occurs when gum tissues around your teeth have been eroded such that the teeth end up with minimal or even no support. When periodontal disease sets in, the chances of losing teeth are very high. Care should be taken to clean under the gumline to prevent further decline.
- Use of Tobacco
- Tobacco is not good for your teeth because it creates the necessary environment for plaque that is clammy and hard to remove. Because it is difficult to remove, the plaque cased by tobacco build up and causes gum recession.
- Aggressive use of toothbrush
- Aggressively brushing your teeth especially with a manual toothbrush can erode your gums and expose the delicate root of your teeth.
- Neglecting dental care: If you neglect brushing or flossing your teeth, you are inviting trouble. Over time food residue on your teeth will form a breeding ground for harmful bacteria on your teeth that will erode the gums of your teeth. Plaque will build up and eat into your gums cause the root of your tooth to be exposed.
- Genetic conditions: Research indicates that some people 30% of North Americans are susceptible to gum recession in spite of a good dental hygiene lifestyle due to their genetic makeup.
- Teeth Grinding. This is called bruxism in dentistry. Grinding your teeth can cause undue pressure on your teeth and tear the soft tissues under your gums. This can make teeth to loosen.
- Lip of tongue piercing: Research conducted by Ohio University in USA revealed that 41% of the people in the study who had pieced their lips had receding gums and a host of other conditions like nerve damage and cracked teeth.
- Gum Tissue trauma: gum tissue are tender and soft and can be injured and damaged by physical trauma accidents and sports abrasion. Choosing one of the best electric toothbrush for receeding gums above can make a big difference in your daily oral care hygiene by providing a soft touch to cleaning the sensitive gums.